Dickensian Evening

Your thoughts on what's to see and do
Mel

Re: Dickensian Evening

Post by Mel »

I think it's been said before, the reason all the stalls are in Tudor Square is so that they can access the electricity supply otherwise down the high street would be too dark. Having had a stall along the high street in the early days I don't really see the problem. Most people have got access to camping lights I would have thought?
Scottman

Post by Scottman »

Amazing clear up by this morning in Amwell End and High Street - despite the wind! Well done.... Way too much litter down the towpath and in side streets and private courtyards though. Can't believe how disgusting some people can be.

Very good safety and road closures this time ....very impressed.

Suggest give serious thought to re-asserting the Dickensian theme - I'm sure it is possible to get more appropriate rides and sideshows. And ban all light sabres etc - allow glow lanterns instead.

And no, in case you ask
Martin

Post by Martin »

I thought it was a great evening. The weather was perfect and I have no objection to the glow sticks, light sabres etc....the kids obviously love to wave them about and they make the evening something special for them. Lots of nice stalls and tons of stuff to look at in the drill hall.
My only observation would be that Tudor Square was ridiculously packed. When I was there it was absolutely impossible to get near the stalls and see what they were selling. It must have been quite frightening for small children. Other than that I thought it was excellent.
New Boy

Post by New Boy »

Tudor Sq horrific again. Always is, but organisers too stubborn to do the sensible thing and move stalls into the High St.

Real yobbish behaviour prevalent as well.
Whereaami

Post by Whereaami »

With cheap and bright led battery lamps these days stalls could be in the high street and well lit, leaving tudor square for stalls that need electricty for other things...
IGS

Post by IGS »

Please remember, before criticising, that the organisers and those who help out on the night give up their time to put the event on. If you wish to help out please do. We do need someone to be the main person next year as Jan Wing won't be doing it anymore. Any volunteers?
Ian

Post by Ian »

Work to put the event on in Tudor square starts mid morning, if that were to move to the High Street, it would need to close at around 9am for the day, that is not acceptable to anyone so it has to remain in the square.
Pat-H

Post by Pat-H »

Why not have Tudor square and the Priory carparks. More space, early access. Tutor square is just too small for such a turnout.
mb1

Post by mb1 »

Using Tudor square is fine, but the configuration is becoming dangerous due to severe overcrowding. It must be possible to move the handful of stalls in the centre of the square?? Because of work I can;t take on Jan Wing's role, but would be happy to be part of the organising group.