Ware Road bridge River Lea

Your thoughts on what's to see and do
Scottman

Ware Road bridge River Lea

Post by Scottman »

Has anyone ever explored whether the towpath could be carried UNDER the bridge, rather than be interrupted by having to cross a busy road on a bend?

Given the low headroom bridge underpasses at Stanstead Abbotts and at Hertford (Marshgate Drive) there would appear to be room to create a safe underpass on the inside of the river bend under the bridge, for pedestrians at least.
Steve

Re: WARE ROAD BRIDGE RIVER LEA

Post by Steve »

Cost vs benefit would suggest a non-starter IMHO.
Alec

Post by Alec »

After a lot of head scratching, I've decided you must mean the Viaduct Road bridge by the Saracen's head, right? Not very clear at all from the posting...

I'm with Steve in believing that the cost/benefit would be unlikely to stack up very well - not to mention the disruption during construction.

Unfortunate, though, as it is a significant disruption in the towpath.
Matt40

Post by Matt40 »

I think its a good idea. The amount of pain getting to the other side both as a pedestrian or a cyclist, not to mention the reduction of risk of a traffic/person accident if done. The disruption would only be a one off though.
Mel

Re: Ware Road bridge River Lea

Post by Mel »

I don't think there is enough head room actually. We walked that way earlier in the week and had a look. Also wouldn't be enough room for two boats to pass each other. I expect I will be corrected though!