Maltings On Kibes Lane

Clubs and societies, neighbourhood and social issues
JCB

Re: Maltings On Kibes Lane

Post by JCB »

Strangely enough, I actually had a conversation on that exact subject the other day. The building is certainly big enough to accommodate a Wetherspoons type refurbishment and the Kibes Lane car park has enough parking, to the chain it may have a similar appeal as the Six Templars in Hertford obviously did. I do not think this idea is without merit.
trev

Post by trev »

Craig - count me in! I have long thought that the Maltings building could be put to better use, notwithstanding the excellent Arts Centre of course.

I do not want it sold off to greedy speculators and will work with you to retain it as a first class facility for the town.
craig

Post by craig »

Myself and a few others who had expressed concern for the future of the Southern Malting have spoken to the Town Council who shared our concerns.
The Ware Society had also raised questions about the future of the building.

It's a big ask - and full of problems, we know this, but a public meeting has been called to try to form a group of volunteers who can pool their resources, share some ideas, and perhaps save the building for the community.
The aim is to see if a viable community business model can be applied to the town's last malting.

If you are concerned about the Southern Malting, If you have ideas about what can be done, how it can be used, or have spare time to help with the project, please come down to Fletchers' Lea on the 28 February to talk about the options. Once the building is sold - that's it - gone. We do have a chance to be part of the decision process, something East Herts Council didn't want to do.

A Friday evening isn't the best time I know, but it was the first time that the accommodation, councillors and the Town Mayor were free on the same night. The Town Mayor will chair the meeting I believe.

Please do your best and try to get down and show your support.
darkmark

Post by darkmark »

What time is the meeting Craig? Or did I miss something because I'm going slightly senile in my advancing years! :?
IGS

Post by IGS »

darkmark wrote:What time is the meeting Craig? Or did I miss something because I'm going slightly senile in my advancing years! :?
7.30pm

http://wareonline.co.uk/council/article.asp?id=1352
IGS

Post by IGS »

That was a very good turnout tonight. I really hope that something positive comes from it.
Craig gave an excellent speech about what is hoped to be achieved.
mb1

Post by mb1 »

Glad to hear there was a good turnout. I am away for work, so wasn;t able to be there. I look forward to a report of the meeting.
Ian

Post by Ian »

Don't forget folks, we have to get letters in to the planning folk by March 18th, so please take a little time to write to the council and make your views known!

Write to "planning@eastherts.gov.uk" and make sure you include the reference "CAN 01-14; Southern Malting Building, 16 New Road, Ware, Herts. SG12 7BS" in full. Here are some ideas you may like to write about, just select a few of these and send them in!

Ask East Herts District Council to grant the request from Ware Town Council to make the Sothern Maltings a Community Asset.

Register your concern and disappointment that EHDC has put the site up for sale without consulting local residents or the local council.

Ask EHDC to give the Ware community a chance to use this site for a self-funded community space.

The Southern Maltings is being used a great deal by the commuinity - look at bookings for the Arts Centre.

Waggers pub and the upstairs rooms are now closed, but the previous tennant retired and made no loss.

Several community clubs/societies had regular meetings in the room upstairs and it was regularly rented out for local celebrations

The Ware Guitar Club, has now moved away from Ware to Hertford, so we've already lost a viable group.

The Southern Maltings is likely to go the same way as the other two maltings and be turned into residential flats.

This has already happened at the North and Central maltings where little of the original character remains.

Little, if any work is needed on the Southern maltings.

The maltings building is the last survivor of the malting industry in Ware, we should preservce our history.

East Herts plan to build lots more houses in Ware but have stated they won't close down community buildings - why the U turn?

Ware will need more community space after expansion, so removing the Maltings is short sighted planning.

East Herts don't need capital and the building is in very good repair, a six month grace period is not unreasonable.

Ask EHDC to give Ware six months to find a viable alternative.
RichardH

Post by RichardH »

Done!
Wolf_Admin
Site Admin

Post by Wolf_Admin »

Not that it matters to developers very much, but is the Southern Maltings a listed building?

Save the Southern Maltings
http://www.southernmaltings.org.uk