New recycling arrangements

Clubs and societies, neighbourhood and social issues
Ian

Re: New recycling arrangements

Post by Ian »

RichardH wrote:But I think the problem is that the cardboard in the compost bins is now not supposed to be there as it breaks down too slowly, and I suspect they also say that to make sure people don't add cardboard with sellotape/parcel tape still attached.

I'm not quite sure about the new arrangements for plastic though - are they saying it's just plastic bags and cling film that is no longer wanted, and we're OK to put other sheet plastic in? What about things like the plastic wrapper/bag you buy pasta in, for example?
According to the EHC website it's types 1-6 plastics that can be recycled. Looking at the WRAP link you can recycle bags and films as they are type 4.

Looks like either they have made a mistake on the article that was in Link magazine or they haven't updated their website yet, it's really very confusing :(
Northsider

Post by Northsider »

I just emailed east Herts on the latest recycling and got this back very swiftly-

In answer to your query, you can no longer put any kind of film in the recycling bin such as:

• Carrier bags
• Bread, vegetable and fruit bags
• Black bags, bin liners, nappy bags etc
• Film plastic that is on meat and foot trays.
• Film sleeve around biscuits, cakes, fruit etc
• Clingfilm/shrink wrap
• Film wrap on magazines
• Cereal packets, crisp/snack bags/wrapping
• Postal packaging etc

I hope this answers your query but we are in the process of putting bin hangers on residents’ bins explaining what can no longer be put into the recycling bin.

Kind Regards
ENVIRONMENTAL SERVICES

This was a good part of my recycling, so what plastic does this leave then? Bottles
Scottman

Post by Scottman »

OK so that counts as two steps forward and one step back..............

Sooooo - how about you collect all these non-recyclables anyway, and return them to the supermarket (in one of their non recyclable bags) in the returned trolley from your next shop? Each supermarket will more quickly get the idea to package minimally and in recyclable materials...

Well it's a theory ...
Northsider

Post by Northsider »

Scottman wrote:OK so that counts as two steps forward and one step back..............

Sooooo - how about you collect all these non-recyclables anyway, and return them to the supermarket (in one of their non recyclable bags) in the returned trolley from your next shop? Each supermarket will more quickly get the idea to package minimally and in recyclable materials...

Well it's a theory ...
Brilliant idea!! Hope it catches on nationaly :D
Wareite1969

Post by Wareite1969 »

Northsider wrote:
Scottman wrote:OK so that counts as two steps forward and one step back..............

Well it's a theory ...
Brilliant idea!! Hope it catches on nationaly :D
I agree it sounds like a good plan however it fails to take account of the fact that recycling rules differ for every District Council. What we can't recycle in a East Herts is not the same as other parts of Herts let alone other parts of the Uk. This has always been the biggest issue - each council makes its own arrangements and there is no Uk policy.

If it was the same Uk wide it could create the required pressure on manufacturers as everyone could stand together with the same demands
Last edited by Wareite1969 on Fri 21 Mar 2014 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FurtiveBertie

Post by FurtiveBertie »

Can we still take the thin film stuff up to the tip?

FB
Ian

Post by Ian »

FurtiveBertie wrote:Can we still take the thin film stuff up to the tip?

FB
You can take this back to Tesco and they will recycle it in the bag recycling bins (assuming they are still there), or the delivery driver will collect them for you if you have deliveries.
ware_resident

Post by ware_resident »

Has anybody had details of the collection dates for the rest of the year yet ? The last I saw was a statement saying these
would be distributed “ in the near future “ after the change of days and times. I know they are on the website, but it was
a lot easier just to stick a magnetised copy on the fridge for easy reference.
Mel

Post by Mel »

I've seen stickers being put on some bins today about a change of time - not read one yet and we're still waiting for our bin to be emptied today.
jbond

Post by jbond »

Go here. https://www.eastherts.gov.uk/printcalendars Print your street. Stick it on your fridge. With blutack. Sorted.