New recycling arrangements

Clubs and societies, neighbourhood and social issues
Matt40

Re: New recycling arrangements

Post by Matt40 »

I long for the old days of just having the one bin instead and weekly collections...
WickenMan

Post by WickenMan »

. . . And . . . So long as waste food compostable bags have the 'seed' logo (not biodegradable which take too long to break down) they can be put in the brown bin as well as the food waste.

Another step in the right direction, ensuring that we continue to deal responsibly with waste. Pity that the communication process was so poor.
FurtiveBertie

Post by FurtiveBertie »

So long as waste food compostable bags have the 'seed' logo (not biodegradable which take too long to break down) they can be put in the brown bin as well as the food waste.
You can't use cardboard boxes though. My brown bin was not emptied last week, because it had cardboard in it (food waste in cereal boxes.)

So I can buy the right kind of biodegradable bags, but can't use recycled cardboard.

I do wish they would be clear about this. :x Its all rubbish (on all levels).

FB
<Edited to change "can" to "can't", as it makes the whole sense of the post wrong :oops: >
Last edited by FurtiveBertie on Wed 19 Mar 2014 8:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Scouter

Post by Scouter »

And yet houses near me often have no brown bin out (so food goes in the black bin or they budget well) and their black bins often have a lid at 45 degrees and even additional bags and they get taken every time.
WickenMan

Post by WickenMan »

FurtiveBertie wrote:
So long as waste food compostable bags have the 'seed' logo (not biodegradable which take too long to break down) they can be put in the brown bin as well as the food waste.
You can't use cardboard boxes though. My brown bin was not emptied last week, because it had cardboard in it (food waste in cereal boxes.)

So I can buy the right kind of biodegradable bags, but can't use recycled cardboard.

I do wish they would be clear about this. :x Its all rubbish (on all levels).

FB
<Edited to change "can" to "can't", as it makes the whole sense of the post wrong :oops: >
Noooo FB!! - Don't go and buy biodegradable bags and put those in the brown bin. It won't be collected. Get compostable bags with the seed logo http://www.merton.gov.uk/environment/re ... lelogo.gif and then they'll collect your bin.

Don't forget Scouter that food waste in the black bin in warm weather in weeks when there is no brown bin collection is acceptable..
FurtiveBertie

Post by FurtiveBertie »

To be honest, I plan to carry on using cardboard, but cover it up with grass clippings :twisted:
FB
patthefatcat

Post by patthefatcat »

put cardboard in the Blue lidded bin
FurtiveBertie

Post by FurtiveBertie »

put cardboard in the Blue lidded bin
I know, but then I need to buy "seed logo compost bags".

Doesn't that create MORE waste than re-using a cereal box? :cry:

FB
RichardH

Post by RichardH »

But I think the problem is that the cardboard in the compost bins is now not supposed to be there as it breaks down too slowly, and I suspect they also say that to make sure people don't add cardboard with sellotape/parcel tape still attached.

I'm not quite sure about the new arrangements for plastic though - are they saying it's just plastic bags and cling film that is no longer wanted, and we're OK to put other sheet plastic in? What about things like the plastic wrapper/bag you buy pasta in, for example?
WickenMan

Post by WickenMan »

I know it's not this simple but this is how I think of it:

Don't recycle = waste goes to landfill with increasing landfill taxes passed on to us via the council tax.

Contaminate the waste by putting stuff in the wrong bin = waste goes to landfill with increasing landfill taxes passed on to us via the council tax. (If in doubt as to whether your waste is in the right place call the council and ask but don't contaminate the load).

Recycle as directed = waste is sold and money is earned. (Even if one disagrees with how that money is 'spent', the ability to 'earn' it should not be wasted).