General Election Hustings 24th April Ware Drill Hall

Clubs and societies, neighbourhood and social issues
IGS

Re: General Election Hustings 24th April Ware Drill Hall

Post by IGS »

The candidates (plus empty chair) and the chair person for the night.<br /><br />Photo by Xanthe Young
The candidates (plus empty chair) and the chair person for the night.

Photo by Xanthe Young
Hustings%202015.jpg (69.41 KiB) Viewed 10523 times
Adrian Baker

Post by Adrian Baker »

mb1 wrote: My highlights were the UKIP guy claiming all 800 members of the House of Lords is committing fraud why claiming to have alzheimers to avoid prosecution; and Mr Standley's attempt at a Tory walkout to protest bias against the Tories, despite his candidate having failed to show up - at least I think that's why he stomped off as he did while the Tories were shouting they should be allowed a right of response to things said about them.
I am the UKIP candidate and I most certainly did not say that. I expressed my disgust that Lord Janner has clearly been protected from the establishment despite clear evidence of him abusing many young boys. What I did say was that he was in the House of Lords making statements and claiming expenses, yet as soon as he was finally accused of these serious offences he claimed to have Alzheimers so that he couldn't be prosecuted for them. He has been protected by the establishment over and over again, and I don't know about you, but I'm disgusted by it. Read about it here:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... years.html

or if you prefer, the Guardian:

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfre ... -years-ago

If you want an MP who does care about the constituency and does care about stopping abuse like this, perhaps you should consider voting for me. I will NEVER stand by and let cover-ups like this happen again and will do everything I can to expose what has been going on.

Regards
Adrian Baker
UKIP candidate for Hertford and Stortford
Pat-H

Post by Pat-H »

Past governments happened in the past. the social economic situation was different as where the key people involved.
The country evolves and changes. Looking back helps little.
The best voters can do is look at now. Look at the promises made last time and how they delivered (or not) and what's promised now.
And then expect to be disappointed when those promises are twisted and altered during delivery....
I try and not vote for what helps me best. I try and vote for what's best for the country and my children and their children to come.
And the biggest factor currently impacting them is the lowest level of house building in 100 years. Out of control landlords and the fact that the 1000 richest families have more than doubled their wealth since 2009.
I'm all for everyone sharing the burden of recovery but the share has clearly been divided up with an eye to well placed mates who haven't suffered they've gained.

Do we know why the missing candidate couldn't make the meeting?
Whereaami

Post by Whereaami »

Maybe in the future we could have husting meetings for the County, District and Town Councils...........
JCB

Post by JCB »

A very good idea. All elections are equally important in their own way. If good good decision making can be demonstrated at the County, District and TC level, then perhaps this may influence the outcome and government of the country after a general election. I know I shall be torpedoed for voicing such a naive wish, but surely we owe it to future generations to at least try to campaign for good government rather than the trading of insults better found in a school playground that our 'senior' politicians from ALL parties currently engage in.
The Masked Woler

Post by The Masked Woler »

Whereaami wrote:Maybe in the future we could have husting meetings for.............Town Councils...........
It could be like a town meeting, but one people were actually told about
Mel

Post by Mel »

I think that is a very good idea, a lot of people I talk to say they are not going to vote because 'they are all the same' but I finally persuaded my son to vote this year.
Mel

Post by Mel »

I see from the Mercury this week that ALL the candidates made both the hustings at the Drill Hall and Presdales with the exception of Mark Prisk!
Andy B

Post by Andy B »

Was there any reason given by Mark Prisk as to why he did not attend?
mb1

Post by mb1 »

He didn't make a public statement on it at all. The Green Party candidate Sophie Christophy told the meeting that he told her and the other candidates 'I have to go to Sawbridgeworth.' That's all. there was no public event in Sawbridgeworth that evening.