Littered Ware

Clubs and societies, neighbourhood and social issues
Scottman

Littered Ware

Post by Scottman »

Becoming increasingly alarmed by the increased level of littering and rubbish around the town, including around and across the A10 and along the A602 to/from the Westmill tip. It seems obvious that part of the issue is litter (especially plastic) blown off the top of the large number of refuse lorries bringing landfill to Westmill. A decent propportion of it is festooned on trees and shrubs and never cleared.

I still see people trying to clear it up, and occasionally scouring the A10 verges, but its turning into an obvious eyesore most of the time. What is going on, and what should be done about it?
VicarageRoader

Re: Littered Ware

Post by VicarageRoader »

Unfortunately, a large percentage of people have no respect for the environment and just drop litter or chuck stuff out of car windows.

When you walk around the town you realise how much of the litter originates at the take aways.

What can be done?

People could be better educated and fines could be a lot heavier for those that are caught.
JudieT

Post by JudieT »

If anyone is organising a litter picking up working party - count me in.
I hate to see so much litter around and wonder that kids today are not educated in being responsible for their own rubbish disposal. We used to have people come into our school to tell us all about the 'Keep Britain Tidy' campaign and my parents always impressed upon me the need to take my rubbish home to bin it properly.
Aren't Community Service Orders supposed to be about learning about how to be a responsible member of a community? Wouldn't this be an obvious task for disaffected youth to learn how to take pride in their environment? I remember clean streets and respectful people and mourn their passing.
mb1

Post by mb1 »

Chauncy do their annual bit on community day, and I believe this forum has been responsible for organising a couple of clean up days along the river path. Perhaps we could that again. I don;t have capacity to organise at the moment but would come down with the kids to help out.
Andy B

Post by Andy B »

After seeing a woman on a water ride at a theme park change her babies nappy then deposit it on the rides display nothing surprises me when people feel the need to dispose of their rubbish.
@lordcoryofware

Post by @lordcoryofware »

The litter at the back entrance to Presdales school on Peters Wood Hill has been an issue for years, as is the dangerous and selfish parking of some if the parents [buts that's a whole new topic!] I have sent letters over the years to the school in regards to the litter [and parking, if you can call it that]. It would be a good idea to have litter picking for the students in detention or in fact not in detention. It was particularly bad when I visited my parents a couple of weeks ago.
Scottman

Post by Scottman »

Does anyone know who is responsible for clearing up all the garbage, lost tyres, parts of cars and dead foxes, badgers etc along the A10, A602 etc?

I saw Veolia Environmental Service working along the A10 today : I assume they are paid for by Hertfordshire Highways, part of Herts County Council?
I just hope that HCC is taking sufficient extra fees from BIFFA Westmill to pay for the clean up of all the trash coming off the hundreds of lorries
bringing landfill to the Ware area. If not, they should.

Followed a lorry past Tonwell today and saw the driver chuck his lunch packaging out of the vehicle. Helpfully there was a 'How am I driving?' contact number
on the back so was able to call and report him. They took it very seriously too.
Andy B

Post by Andy B »

Good for you Scottman not many would have done that, if you see a truck with items falling off it you can report it as it is illegal as an insecure load.
Steve

Post by Steve »

Scottman wrote:Followed a lorry past Tonwell today and saw the driver chuck his lunch packaging out of the vehicle. Helpfully there was a 'How am I driving?' contact number
on the back so was able to call and report him. They took it very seriously too.
Marvellous :D
jbond

Post by jbond »

JudieT wrote:If anyone is organising a litter picking up working party - count me in.
Me too. And of course we can all do our bit by picking litter nearby where we live, every day.