Town Council Elections

Clubs and societies, neighbourhood and social issues

Re: Town Council Elections

Postby The Masked Woler » Sat 09 May 2015 9:16 pm

Alec wrote:
mb1 wrote:I agree IGS, a democratic Council needs dissenting voices to stop decisions being railroaded through, or being taken in secret at party meetings not Council meetings. The absence of an opposition is pretty disturbing.


Hmmm, really not sure some of the posters on WOL have really grasped democracy...

I hate the concept of Conservative cabale that runs the council, but the bottom line is that we repeatedly go through a very fair and open election process and the majority of the voters continue to vote Tory. The result may be unpopular with some/many people, but you can hardly complain that it's not been done democratically. I continue to be amazed at the consistently high Tory vote locally, but it is exactly that - a high popular vote for the Tories. It's hardly democratic to try and change that...


True, but a situation where the candidates selected by the local party get in with no vote at all can hardly be said to be a healthy democracy - according to EHDC this happened in nine parish/town wards in the area (including Chadwell).

I accept that they would probably have been voted in anyway and that the reason they were unopposed is because people see no point in standing when they are sure to lose but this is not a good situation and does not bode well for the future. I suspect even the Conservatives would agree with that.
The Masked Woler
 
Posts: 344
Joined: Wed 08 Jan 2014 11:52 am

Re: Town Council Elections

Postby Mel » Sun 10 May 2015 6:49 am

Once upon a time Ware town council was completely Lib Dem, it can be done!
User avatar
Mel
 
Posts: 390
Joined: Sat 24 Jan 2004 12:00 am
Location: Ware

Re: Town Council Elections

Postby Pat-H » Sun 10 May 2015 12:16 pm

I think it would be true to say Hertfordshire is a Tory Enclave and that people who live here that aren't of that political leaning are probably misplaced in being here.
Its very common for communities of like minded people to cluster and that's just what's happened here in Hertfordshire.
So is that bad? May be its better for everyone else to pull away and let them concentrate in even greater numbers.
Life would be more harmonious as they could just do what they want (which they pretty much do anyway)

As for the Lib Dems coming back. In a generation or so.
User avatar
Pat-H
 
Posts: 258
Joined: Thu 19 Apr 2007 12:00 am
Location: Ware

Re: Town Council Elections

Postby The Masked Woler » Sun 10 May 2015 3:11 pm

Pat-H wrote:I think it would be true to say Hertfordshire is a Tory Enclave and that people who live here that aren't of that political leaning are probably misplaced in being here.
Its very common for communities of like minded people to cluster and that's just what's happened here in Hertfordshire.
So is that bad? May be its better for everyone else to pull away and let them concentrate in even greater numbers.
Life would be more harmonious as they could just do what they want (which they pretty much do anyway)

As for the Lib Dems coming back. In a generation or so.


So when are you leaving?

Mind you, looking at the map, unless you go to London you have to go quite a distance to escape the blue.
The Masked Woler
 
Posts: 344
Joined: Wed 08 Jan 2014 11:52 am

Re: Town Council Elections

Postby Pat-H » Sun 10 May 2015 9:29 pm

As I work in Shoreditch and spend more time there than at home that works out but New Zealand looks very nice and have relatives over there as well as Australia. But even Holland has a very strong pull.

Have considered moving away for sometime.

So maybe sooner than later.

At least with our motorhome we get to visit places where they seem to care about how people live. Even if we don't live there yet.
User avatar
Pat-H
 
Posts: 258
Joined: Thu 19 Apr 2007 12:00 am
Location: Ware

Re: Town Council Elections

Postby Andy B » Mon 11 May 2015 5:43 am

Pat-H wrote:As I work in Shoreditch and spend more time there than at home that works out but New Zealand looks very nice and have relatives over there as well as Australia. But even Holland has a very strong pull.

Have considered moving away for sometime.

So maybe sooner than later.

At least with our motorhome we get to visit places where they seem to care about how people live. Even if we don't live there yet.


Residency visas are not easy to obtain which is a good thing and something I feel the UK could learn from.
User avatar
Andy B
 
Posts: 498
Joined: Sat 23 Nov 2013 8:53 am
Location: New Zealand

Re: Town Council Elections

Postby The Masked Woler » Mon 11 May 2015 9:37 am

Andy B wrote:
Pat-H wrote:As I work in Shoreditch and spend more time there than at home that works out but New Zealand looks very nice and have relatives over there as well as Australia. But even Holland has a very strong pull.

Have considered moving away for sometime.

So maybe sooner than later.

At least with our motorhome we get to visit places where they seem to care about how people live. Even if we don't live there yet.


Residency visas are not easy to obtain which is a good thing and something I feel the UK could learn from.


Oh, come on! Don't spoil the only bright spot in the election gloom. Isn't it bad enough we have to keep Katie Hopkins? ;)
The Masked Woler
 
Posts: 344
Joined: Wed 08 Jan 2014 11:52 am

Re: Town Council Elections

Postby IGS » Mon 11 May 2015 11:39 am

The Masked Woler wrote:As an aside I see the EHDC site has this in the results section

OLDRIDGE, DAVID CHRISTOPHER
Known as Mick Standley

a bit fishy or what.
I emailed EHC on Friday before the count for the town occurred and got a reply back this morning:

Thank you for your email.  The information on the website was incorrect, human error when inputting the details.  The information didn’t appear on the website until Thursday in readiness for the result.

 

The information on the ballot papers issued at the polling stations was correct.

 

Regards

 

Web Admin

East Herts Council
User avatar
IGS
 
Posts: 231
Joined: Tue 09 Jun 2009 12:00 am
Location:

Re: Town Council Elections

Postby jbond » Thu 26 Apr 2018 8:56 am

As we've just had the Annual Town Meeting, it seems an appropriate moment to point out that there is one more year till the elections come round again. Maybe next year, Labour and LibDems (and others) will present realistic candidates with a realistic campaign.

For whatever reason, I don't think Cllr. Oldridge has attended any of the Annual Meetings. But then I think this year as Mayor was the first time Cllr. Curtis has turned up.
jbond
 
Posts: 109
Joined: Fri 28 Jan 2005 12:00 am
Location: Ware

Previous

Return to Community

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron