Town Council Elections

Clubs and societies, neighbourhood and social issues
The Masked Woler

Re: Town Council Elections

Post by The Masked Woler »

IGS wrote:Anyone know who the two councillors for Chadwell are as the seats for Town Council were uncontested?
Ros Standley and Barry O'Reilly.

In future maybe we should just let local Conservative HQ appoint our Councillors, it would save the time and cost of an election.
David Oldridge

Post by David Oldridge »

The Masked Woler wrote:As an aside I see the EHDC site has this in the results section

OLDRIDGE, DAVID CHRISTOPHER
Known as Mick Standley

a bit fishy or what.
I can assure you I am just known as David Oldridge!

Not fishy, merely an honest typo from a hardworking admin person who was no doubt tired having been up all night working at the count!
David Oldridge

Post by David Oldridge »

Dear Ware Trinity

Thank you to all those who voted for me for both Town and District Council, I very much appreciate your support and will try my best to repay the faith you have shown in me.

Thank you also to those who despite not voting for me still turned out and voted. As I said before the election, it's really important to vote and have your voice heard.

Whether you voted for me, voted for someone else or did not vote I look forward to representing you all and helping to make our Ware an even better place to live and work in.

Kind regards

David Oldridge
@WareOldridge
The Masked Woler

Post by The Masked Woler »

David Oldridge wrote:........ helping to make our Ware an even better place to live and work in.
I sincerely hope that will be the case but my fear is that Ware will be royally stitched up by EHDC both in relation to the Southern Malting (which I am told is going back on the market even though the group's proposals haven't even been considered yet) and the District Plan which will blight the town and particularly your ward, and of which all mention was avoided during the elections.
IGS

Post by IGS »

David Oldridge wrote:Dear Ware Trinity

Thank you to all those who voted for me for both Town and District Council, I very much appreciate your support and will try my best to repay the faith you have shown in me.

Thank you also to those who despite not voting for me still turned out and voted. As I said before the election, it's really important to vote and have your voice heard.

Whether you voted for me, voted for someone else or did not vote I look forward to representing you all and helping to make our Ware an even better place to live and work in.

Kind regards

David Oldridge
@WareOldridge
So what do you think is going to happen now as the whole of the district council is Tory and only one non Tory on the town? There needs to be dissenting voices to make councillors stop and think and at least listen to different points of views. Just towing the party line could spell disaster for our community unless you fight against some of the proposals that will made by councillors who don't give two hoots about Ware.
Aardvaark

Post by Aardvaark »

I've seen the EHDC election results - but does anyone know the Ware Town Council results? I presume we have one non-Tory, but does anyone know who this is?
IGS

Post by IGS »

Aardvaark wrote:I've seen the EHDC election results - but does anyone know the Ware Town Council results? I presume we have one non-Tory, but does anyone know who this is?
Chadwell: Barry O'reilly & Roz Standley both Tories, election uncontested. Christchurch: Phyllis Ballam, Alex Curtis & Jonathan Kaye; all Tories. St Mary's: Mark Pope, Mick Standley & Jeanette Taylor; all Tories. Trinity: David Oldrige & Stephen Reed; Tories, and Gary Kent for UKIP. I suspect he only got in because the Tories only had two candidates there after one had withdrawn.

You'll find them here apart from uncontested Chadwell:

http://www.eastherts.gov.uk/index.jsp?articleid=31345
Aardvaark

Post by Aardvaark »

Thank you - when I looked earlier I couldn't see any reference to town council results.
mb1

Post by mb1 »

I agree IGS, a democratic Council needs dissenting voices to stop decisions being railroaded through, or being taken in secret at party meetings not Council meetings. The absence of an opposition is pretty disturbing.
Alec

Post by Alec »

mb1 wrote:I agree IGS, a democratic Council needs dissenting voices to stop decisions being railroaded through, or being taken in secret at party meetings not Council meetings. The absence of an opposition is pretty disturbing.
Hmmm, really not sure some of the posters on WOL have really grasped democracy...

I hate the concept of Conservative cabale that runs the council, but the bottom line is that we repeatedly go through a very fair and open election process and the majority of the voters continue to vote Tory. The result may be unpopular with some/many people, but you can hardly complain that it's not been done democratically. I continue to be amazed at the consistently high Tory vote locally, but it is exactly that - a high popular vote for the Tories. It's hardly democratic to try and change that...