Remember to Vote on Thursday 7th May 2015...

Clubs and societies, neighbourhood and social issues
Warewolf

Re: Remember to Vote on Thursday 7th May 2015...

Post by Warewolf »

But still nearly 30% (about the national average) didn't vote which is a large proportion and very disappointing!
Pat-H

Post by Pat-H »

Australia you have to vote or face a fine. But then they have proportional representation as well so somewhat more evolved than us.
mb1

Post by mb1 »

Dennis O'Sullivan the head teacher at Chauncy has written an eloquent and passionate piece about the damage the Tories plan to inflict on Chauncy and other schools. well worth a read, especially if you voted for this, which a majority of people around here did.

https://www.the-newshub.com/uk-politics ... money-left
Andy B

Post by Andy B »

Pat-H wrote:Australia you have to vote or face a fine. But then they have proportional representation as well so somewhat more evolved than us.
After each Australian election, the AEC will send a letter to all apparent non-voters requesting that they either provide a valid and sufficient reason for failing to vote or pay a $20 penalty.

If, within the time period specified on the notice, you fail to reply, cannot provide a valid and sufficient reason or decline to pay the $20 penalty, then the matter may be referred to a court. If the matter is dealt with in court and you are found guilty, you may be fined up to $170 plus court costs and a criminal conviction may be recorded against you.

I'm sure some just pay the fine.
Blueboy

Post by Blueboy »

mb1 wrote:Dennis O'Sullivan the head teacher at Chauncy has written an eloquent and passionate piece about the damage the Tories plan to inflict on Chauncy and other schools. well worth a read, especially if you voted for this, which a majority of people around here did.
As a lifelong Labour supporter I can hardly disagree with the thrust of the blog but doesn't he overstate the impact of the savings? His year one savings would just be repeated in years two and three without the need to make further cuts or have I missed something? Sorry, I know this comment would be more appropriate to make in the blog itself but I needed to register with the site to do that and frankly I'm already a member of too many sites.
The Masked Woler

Post by The Masked Woler »

One thing I find bizarre is the difference in turn out between EHDC and WTC on the same day, for Trinity there was an 8.5% difference.