Post by Steve »

Lots of coverage on the BBC Local News
ware_blaze.jpg
ware_blaze.jpg (56.32 KiB) Viewed 20207 times
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-engla ... s-40905128
Andy B

Re: Dean's Ablaze

Post by Andy B »

It'll be interesting to hear of the cause as the owner said that there were no electrical appliances in the area of the fire?
Pat-H

Post by Pat-H »

I heard the fire started in the roof. And there would be electrical cabling up there.
The shame of it is the current Electrical regs don't require older fuseboxes to be upgraded if they still meet the specs current at the time of their original install.
So many buildings have old fuseboxes and no requirement to change them but a modern fusebox reduces the risks as they will cut out quicker and trip under circumstances an older box wouldn't have.
Assuming it was an electrical fire of course.
Andrew

Post by Andrew »

Major article on the fire, including an interview with Dean Ambridge and the chief fire officer, on the BBC website. Star Street is closed.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-be ... s-41107349
VicarageRoader

Post by VicarageRoader »

I wonder how long Star Street will be closed off for? Our road is just a joke at the busy times now. Honestly, some of the poor driving has to be seen to be believed.
JCB

Post by JCB »

I have heard third hand, so cannot vouch for accuracy, that the road will be shut for 2 weeks, also that the bath showroom will have to come down. If this is true, prepare for the forthcoming luxury waterfront apartments with moorings......
Scottman

Post by Scottman »

Star Street could be opened one way, now that the scaffolding is propping up the wall of a (presumably) listed building.

Its a pity that the Highways Authority hasn't got on with imposing No Parking restrictions on New Road as it has in Kibes Lane. That would help redirected traffic flow a lot.
Car parking for the cottages in New Road could be leased temporarily from the church opposite, surely?
Emagine

Post by Emagine »

JCB wrote:I have heard third hand, so cannot vouch for accuracy, that the road will be shut for 2 weeks, also that the bath showroom will have to come down. If this is true, prepare for the forthcoming luxury waterfront apartments with moorings......
I can tell you first hand that there is no indication AT ALL that the showroom will be coming down, far from it. Plans are already in motion for the clean up and re-build and in the meantime the showroom team are fully up and running out of the WHABS warehouse in Crane Mead.

All the best
VicarageRoader

Post by VicarageRoader »

Emagine wrote:
JCB wrote:I have heard third hand, so cannot vouch for accuracy, that the road will be shut for 2 weeks, also that the bath showroom will have to come down. If this is true, prepare for the forthcoming luxury waterfront apartments with moorings......
I can tell you first hand that there is no indication AT ALL that the showroom will be coming down, far from it. Plans are already in motion for the clean up and re-build and in the meantime the showroom team are fully up and running out of the WHABS warehouse in Crane Mead.

All the best
Thats really good news.
JCB

Post by JCB »

I am extremely happy to be wrong! Thanks for that