Westmill Landfill site 10-year extension

Clubs and societies, neighbourhood and social issues
Steve

Westmill Landfill site 10-year extension

Post by Steve »

I'm not sure if there's a general awareness of this but Biffa have applied to extend the life of the Westmil landfill site by another 10 years to 2027.

https://cloud1.atriumsoft.com/HCCePlann ... plId=24810
Andy B

Re: Westmill Landfill site 10-year extension

Post by Andy B »

There's been very little on WOL about the landfill is the smell still an issue or has it gone away?
Scottman

Post by Scottman »

Not the time of year to ask (its winter here, Andy!)

Presumably they think they have capacity there - it was supposed to be pretty full up by now
Andy B

Post by Andy B »

Scottman wrote:Not the time of year to ask (its winter here, Andy!)
Ha ha so it is I'll not mention its 26 degrees here!
Was it smelly during the summer though?
Matt40

Post by Matt40 »

I wàs wondering about this last week. I regularly cycle past it up poles Lane under the a10 to cold Christmas. Last week it stank so bad that I felt like gagging as I cycled past. It always smells but that was the worst ever. I thought biffa were due to leave not be granted an extension. I guess this isn't in the news anymore since 1500 homes are being proposed.
Andy B

Post by Andy B »

Matt40 wrote:I wàs wondering about this last week. I regularly cycle past it up poles Lane under the a10 to cold Christmas. Last week it stank so bad that I felt like gagging as I cycled past. It always smells but that was the worst ever. I thought biffa were due to leave not be granted an extension. I guess this isn't in the news anymore since 1500 homes are being proposed.

That's interesting reading and for those who are against the idea of 1500 extra properties in Ware continuing to bring issues like the Biffa waste site to light on WOL could make the difference to either the houses being built or the the extension for Biffa. If I was looking to move to Ware or anywhere come to that part of my research would be local web sites to find out what's good and bad about the town.
Scottman

Post by Scottman »

You would think so, wouldn't you?

However experience is that no-one picks up on the dump stink until after they have moved in, in the same way that no recent arrivals on the outskirts of Ware were aware that the crescent of green belt to the north and east is now about to be zoned for residential and industrial development.

I guess you can hardly blame sellers for not mentioning such things, though some might say there is a moral if not legal duty within the various questionnaires that now have to be completed before sale.
RichardH

Post by RichardH »

Matt40 wrote:I wàs wondering about this last week. I regularly cycle past it up poles Lane under the a10 to cold Christmas. Last week it stank so bad that I felt like gagging as I cycled past. It always smells but that was the worst ever. I thought biffa were due to leave not be granted an extension. I guess this isn't in the news anymore since 1500 homes are being proposed.
That could be the "Hanbury pong" rather than Biffa - I belive that is something to do with the sewerage systems around that area rather than the landfill site.
Matt40

Post by Matt40 »

The 'Hanbury pong'? Tell me more, that sounds like a local phrase I don't know about lol. It doesn't smell any different from the biffa pong that I can tell although it has been a while since the biffa pong drifted into town. Perhaps a second opinion from a poles Lane dog walker could help if we have any such members.
Mel

Post by Mel »

A bit like the Star Street pong then?!