Town Council Conduct

Clubs and societies, neighbourhood and social issues
jbond

Re: Town Council Conduct

Post by jbond »

It's not fair. Hertford have much better costumes and symbols of office than Ware!
https://twitter.com/HertfordTC/status/9 ... 7555324928

Fit for purpose? Ware Town Council has become pretty dysfunctional. The new Mayor has going to have his work cut out trying to restore some order And make sure some work actually gets done.

Which is really worrying given that we're going to have to deal with the planning for the District Plan and the Ware N&E development from this summer onwards. On top of all the usual Town issues.
jbond

Post by jbond »

Of the 5 councillors who walked out.

- Rosalie Standley (Tory Chadwell) elected unopposed

- Joanne Belsey (Tory Chadwell). Co-opted without an election when Barry O'Reilly (Tory elected unopposed) resigned.

- Catherine Reed (Tory Trinity). Co-opted without an election when Gary Kent (UKIP) resigned.

We get a very poor turnout on Council elections but of the people who actually vote, the local electorate consistently votes overwhelmingly Tory. A few years back there were always some Lib-Dem councillors but that's at least 10 years ago now.

There was a lot of noisy talk about decisions being made and people being expelled from some secret Tory groups and how terrible it was that the secret groups' agreements weren't being followed in Full Council. WTF?

And that's local democracy for you!
Whereaami

Post by Whereaami »

I've thought for years that local elections should not be about the colour rosette the candidates wear, but the actual people standing and what their contribution to the town and its organisations have been to date. Seems that for some its a power trip. Non attendance at the Annual Town Meeting without good reason is an indicator to me of commitment.

I hope that all the wards next election have more than one candidate standing,
jasmine98

Post by jasmine98 »

This whole unhappy fiasco would appear to be costing local tax payers a lot of money that should be spent on improving town facilities. Or have I got it completely wrong!
Scottman

Post by Scottman »

Whereaami wrote:I've thought for years that local elections should not be about the colour rosette the candidates wear, but the actual people standing and what their contribution to the town and its organisations have been to date. Seems that for some its a power trip. Non attendance at the Annual Town Meeting without good reason is an indicator to me of commitment.

I hope that all the wards next election have more than one candidate standing,

This is a really important point.

The only time I have ever voted in these elections was when I wished to support a local Councillor who got properly and personally involved in a particular issue in his Ward. It is also the only time in history I have voted for his party.

It needs local people with a genuine interest and commitment to Ware and its special issues to be willing to serve - irrespective of their political affiliation. There used to be a Ratepayers' Alliance - perhaps now we need a Council Taxpayers' Alliance.

That said, my personal experience is that any such local strength gets steamrollered by the enormous suffocating weight of the Conservative Party in this region.
jbond

Post by jbond »

It would appear that Catherine Reed (Tory, Trinity Ward) has left the building.

https://waretowncouncil.gov.uk/council/ ... cil-staff/
Whereaami

Post by Whereaami »

just needs 10 voters in Trinity Ward to force a by-election....

http://waretowncouncil.gov.uk/about/new ... nity-ward/
jbond

Post by jbond »

And then more than 1 person has to stand.
jbond

Post by jbond »

Old news now. Mick Standley, Roz Standley and Jeanette Taylor have left the building. But R Standley and J Taylor are still in the EHDC. Joanne Belsey remains MIA.