Derailment in-waiting....

For the customers of Greater Anglia and Network Rail
New Boy

Derailment in-waiting....

Post by New Boy »

I wondered whether any regular commuters had noticed this problem. Every evening on the journey out of London, a minute or so just before Southbury station; the train violently shudders and is noticeably thrown briefly off its rails. It seems more aggressive lately, and I’ve even seen people knocked off their seats.

It seems definitely worse during the evening commute, as typically our train has left Liverpool Street late, and the drivers are obviously under instructions to ‘make up time’.

There seems to me to be a very real risk of a derailment. I remember similar experiences on the Hertford North line for years, and we know what happened at Hatfield and Potters Bar. I have e-mailed Greater Anglia but they just said if there was an issue their drivers would have reported it?
Wareite1969

Re: Derailment in-waiting....

Post by Wareite1969 »

Not a regular commuter but that hasn't stopped me noticing the sharp switch on this part (just around Edmonton where the line splits to Enfield Town). Not sure the train actually jumps off the tracks however I have seen many people nearly fall into the aisles or have to rapidly reach for something to steady themselves.

I'm not sure what the danger to the train is but there is a risk that one day someone may hurt themselves in a carriage. Maybe that's why they make sure the train is as full as possible so there's less room to move.
Mancunian

Post by Mancunian »

not just me thinking this then, it seems to be right before a small kind of bridge as i've been looking out of the window to see what the tracks do as it is a massive shudder, one bloke actually fell of his seat last night as the train was going a bit and he went straight off when we hit that bit, i know someone who works for them so will investigate it
onmyplanet

Post by onmyplanet »

Yes noticed it too, people who don't use the train regularly often look terrified and comment on it. It's most noticeable on the return journey from London and I've seen people tipped from seats too.
All very well for GA to say it's not been reported by their drivers but even if it's just changing tracks because of the Enfield Town line, which is probably the case, it'd be good to know
Mancunian

Post by Mancunian »

onmyplanet wrote: even if it's just changing tracks because of the Enfield Town line, which is probably the case, it'd be good to know
It happens before that bit i think or maybe just after but not the track split to enfield, seems to be on a normal bit of track at a slight bend but def near a little bridge of some kind, it's worse than the track section near Tott Hale where the tracks move over 2 others, that used be really bad some days.
malcmac

Post by malcmac »

I subconsciously brace myself especially on the way home.

I have have seen various people fall across seats.
New Boy

Post by New Boy »

Given Greater Anglia dismissiveness perhaps the Mercury could pick up these safety concerns. They've been known to scour WoL in the past....
villager

Post by villager »

I'm so glad somebody else has mentioned this! I too brace myself when going through Southbury station, it's immediately after Southbury as the train goes over a small bridge. I emailed my concerns to Greater Anglia in January and this was the reply; note that I mentioned this was an almost daily occurrence depending on the speed of the train:

Thank you for your recent email.

I am sorry to read of the rough ride you encountered travelling with us. First of all, I would like to reassure you that the safety of passengers is of paramount importance for both us and Network Rail. All of our trains receive regular maintenance based on accumulated mileage between inspections.
We would never knowingly put passengers at risk through poor maintenance of the infrastructure and rolling stock, or by drivers exceeding speed limits. The most likely cause for the poor ride quality is the conditions of the track. Many of our lines are constructed on an underlying bed of clay. This tends to dry out and can cause minor undulations on the track.

Given their knowledge of the route and the usual standard of ride, the first people that tend to note and report instances of rough riding are the drivers themselves. Nevertheless, I recognise your concerns and have logged this matter for the attention of the management team concerned.

Thank you for taking the time to raise this matter with us.

Yours sincerely,

(I've taken the name out)
Customer Relations Supervisor
Greater Anglia

I would suggest that the train driver wouldn't feel anything in the front cab as I think this is almost like a "snake effect", where if you're at the back of the train you're worst-affected.
Mel

Post by Mel »

that'll be no change then!
Matt40

Post by Matt40 »

Just a suggestion, ask the driver on the 7.31 train before you board? You may not get your favorite seat for a day but for peace of mind....