Derailment in-waiting....

For the customers of Greater Anglia and Network Rail
villager

Re: Derailment in-waiting....

Post by villager »

There's no such thing as a "favourite seat" on the Greater Anglia. It's more of a case of "I have to sit on this putrid, squalid foam pad which is too close to the next putrid, squalid foam pad but I suppose I should be grateful for the opportunity to sit, unlike my fellow commuters from Rye House onwards, even though this person sitting next to me might as well be sitting on my lap he's overspilling so much onto my seat". By the way, that's £88.00 per week please, thanks.
Matt40

Post by Matt40 »

I had the misfortunate to go into my london company office last friday on the 8.00am. It brought it all back to me why i dont commute anymore, toytown trains with no leg room, people on mobiles chatting (who wants a conversation at 8am beats me!), people talking to each other about mindless things (what happened to dignified silence) and then I noticed the 'lurch' at southbury!
New Boy

Post by New Boy »

Given I had the same response last year, and you in January, they've done nothing about this. This is absolutely scandalous.

villager wrote:I'm so glad somebody else has mentioned this! I too brace myself when going through Southbury station, it's immediately after Southbury as the train goes over a small bridge. I emailed my concerns to Greater Anglia in January and this was the reply; note that I mentioned this was an almost daily occurrence depending on the speed of the train:

Thank you for your recent email.

I am sorry to read of the rough ride you encountered travelling with us. First of all, I would like to reassure you that the safety of passengers is of paramount importance for both us and Network Rail. All of our trains receive regular maintenance based on accumulated mileage between inspections.
We would never knowingly put passengers at risk through poor maintenance of the infrastructure and rolling stock, or by drivers exceeding speed limits. The most likely cause for the poor ride quality is the conditions of the track. Many of our lines are constructed on an underlying bed of clay. This tends to dry out and can cause minor undulations on the track.

Given their knowledge of the route and the usual standard of ride, the first people that tend to note and report instances of rough riding are the drivers themselves. Nevertheless, I recognise your concerns and have logged this matter for the attention of the management team concerned.

Thank you for taking the time to raise this matter with us.

Yours sincerely,

(I've taken the name out)
Customer Relations Supervisor
Greater Anglia

I would suggest that the train driver wouldn't feel anything in the front cab as I think this is almost like a "snake effect", where if you're at the back of the train you're worst-affected.
New Boy

Post by New Boy »

Have contacted both the Mercury and Mark Prisk to exert some pressure on Greater Anglia to take action.
Mancunian

Post by Mancunian »

Spoke to GA via their twitter feed and also at Liv St, seems they were unaware of this issue (Yeh Right!) and have passed this on to Network Rail to investigate. Looking forward to see how many people spill their coffee and fall of their chairs tonight ;)
New Boy

Post by New Boy »

on the 17:41 tonight bags were thrown off the luggage racks, and people once again looked terrified.
Mel

Post by Mel »

perhaps you should invite them to take a trip with you?!
RichardH

Post by RichardH »

A video of that happening posted online to GA might make them take note!
New Boy

Post by New Boy »

In my e-mail I did say their safety team needs to travel on the route, as well as examining the track. I have considered a video, it's just about explaining to the other commuters i'm not a stalker!

Mercury have expressed interest, so I'm hoping that will signal action from GA....
Mancunian

Post by Mancunian »

will film it tomorrow night (working from home today) and send it to GA and Mercury, not sure can post on here though?