Additional Platform at Ware Station

For the customers of Greater Anglia and Network Rail
Blueboy

Re: Additional Platform at Ware Station

Post by Blueboy »

Andy B wrote:There's a book, the name evades me, which recalls the working life of the Hertford and Ware stations back in the days of steam and is an interesting historical read.
"Branch Lines Around Hertford and Hatfield" from Middleton Press may be the book you are thinking of. Some interesting pictures of Ware station and its surrounding infrastructure.

There were in fact two sidings south of the station but they were staggered. If Network Rail still own the land they were situated on there would be room for a second line and platform but it too would have to be staggered and the platform would be rather narrow. I don't see how you could continue the double track over the level crossing without demolishing the building there or shortening the current platform and slewing the track. Sounds very expensive.

The reason there is only one platform at Ware is because the New River Company wouldn't sell the land to the railway company. I don't know what the situation is on that now.

Timetabling should not be an issue with the current set up. When the line was first electrified the rush hour service was three an hour at, I seem to remember, 7, 27 and 47 past the hour to London.

There was once a rumoured suggestion that Hertford East be closed and the line terminated at Ware. In my day Ware took more money than the other three stations on the branch put together but at that time the old goods yard was still available to be developed as a terminus. Not sure it would be possible now without greater expenditure and probably relocating the station eastwards.
The Masked Woler

Post by The Masked Woler »

Mancunian wrote:it's easy to do that now anyway, just go to Broxbourne and change to get a train to Harlow, Airport etc, why spend millions laying a new track (which would be needed) to get direct trains plus where would the additional track go, whole new points and track junction would be needed at Hoddy...
The Stanstead Express doesn't stop at Broxbourne - they stopped it doing so years ago because people kept getting on it from Liverpool St.

I don't see why it would costs millions all you need is a link to the track going north near Rye House.

As has been said the only way to have another platform is to move the whole lot east to the empty area or have staggered platforms.
Cod

Post by Cod »

mb1 wrote:There used to be another track but I think it was just a siding, and it went long ago. as others have said the new builds across from the station now make such an extension almost impossible.
In this image you can see the siding and the pedestrian crossing which would take you through to London Road.
Attachments
Ware Station.png
Ware Station.png (176.12 KiB) Viewed 16385 times
Blueboy

Post by Blueboy »

The Masked Woler wrote: I don't see why it would costs millions all you need is a link to the track going north near Rye House.
I would think that to install a northern spur at Rye House junction would be very expensive and not cost effective given the likely traffic volumes. Purchase of land and laying of track would surely be in the many millions I would have thought.

In any event when the report talks of better connections it is in a timetabling sense not a physical one.
Last edited by Blueboy on Fri 26 Jun 2015 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Blueboy

Post by Blueboy »

Cod wrote:
mb1 wrote:There used to be another track but I think it was just a siding, and it went long ago. as others have said the new builds across from the station now make such an extension almost impossible.
In this image you can see the siding and the pedestrian crossing which would take you through to London Road.
Actually the picture shows the two sidings that I spoke of. This is one of the pictures in the book I mentioned.
kevin phillips bong

Post by kevin phillips bong »

Unbelievable... HCC have paid a company to produce 92 pages of the blindingly obvious. They should know what to do with the help of their/our elected concillors/staff. HCC have an awful transport/train policy; I'll try to be brief.....

They've discovered there is no train line east to west - wow! and that there is increased demand - wow this surely cannot be linked to thousands of flats (+odd house) thats been foisted on the good people of East Herts can it? They say Ware needs an extra platform so more trains can run; thats codswallop - the reason no more can run is because Liv St. is full to capicity and priority is given to Camb/SExp - so until 'rye house' junction is altered; an extra platform makes no difference. They note our change at Broxbourne to SExp is not good, false, its ok - what they don't mention is the change to Cambridge... its awful. Station/train facilities are poor - yes - and no mention of our 'beloved ill-fated' toilet!!! They note mainline through Lea Valley should be 4 track - another wonderful observation and something that should have been done when we had the Olympics.

'Maybe' when Crossrail opens we'll get more trains as Liv St to Shenfield should be diverted. If HS2 comes our way (won't in my lifetime sadly) it should go beyond HEast and connect to Stevnidge/'wonderful' Luton as an addition to the east - west link.
Blueboy

Post by Blueboy »

I suppose to be fair it might be blindingly obvious but even then it has to be stated in a way that will gain the attention of those who can actually spend the money to get something done.

I look forward to Crossrail2, especially if it will extend to Ware. One journey from my current local station all the way to Ware. Ware FC home matches will be easy to get to at last. But as KPB says, even if it happens I may well be long gone to the station in the sky.
FurtiveBertie

Post by FurtiveBertie »

I found this with the same picture:

http://www.ourhertfordandware.org.uk/page_id__149.aspx

Edited to add this link too:
http://www.signalbox.org/diagrams.php?id=427

FB
Mancunian

Post by Mancunian »

The Masked Woler wrote:
Mancunian wrote:it's easy to do that now anyway, just go to Broxbourne and change to get a train to Harlow, Airport etc, why spend millions laying a new track (which would be needed) to get direct trains plus where would the additional track go, whole new points and track junction would be needed at Hoddy...
The Stanstead Express doesn't stop at Broxbourne - they stopped it doing so years ago because people kept getting on it from Liverpool St.

I don't see why it would costs millions all you need is a link to the track going north near Rye House.

As has been said the only way to have another platform is to move the whole lot east to the empty area or have staggered platforms.
you can get a train to St Airport from Brox, i think it comes from stratford not Liv st, been stuck numerous times at Brox and there has been trains coming in going to Airport all stn stopping i might add, as you said so many people got on it at Liv St just to get off at Brox,
mb1

Post by mb1 »

This is all moot anyway as the government has just cancelled £38bn in rail infrastructure upgrades, including everything in the Greater Anglia area I believe. The head of network rail resigned as a result. So, all you commuters who voted Tory really shot yourselves in the foot!