Oyster IS coming

For the customers of Greater Anglia and Network Rail
boyboy

Re: Oyster IS coming

Post by boyboy »

Used contactless for the first time last night, wondered how we access delay/repay.

For the extremely rare occasions that trains get cancelled or delayed, its the time of the year for leaves to fall.
You need to register your oyster or contactless card on this website. https://account.tfl.gov.uk

Looks like we need to print out details of the journey and include them with our delay/repay form.

Dont think its a good idea to register details of a debit contactless card just in case site gets hacked.
boyboy

Post by boyboy »

Just checked my journey details.
Used contactless because I got to Ware as barriers going down.
Trip to London Liverpool Street at 18:15 and returned on the 20:42 contactless charge two trips at £5.50 each equals £11.
Return ticket from machine £10.
So bear in mind and check what is the cheaper jouney first.
Redsky

Post by Redsky »

It appears that from January 2016 that now Oyster is available on our line, the super off peak rail tickets that whilst more restrictive on travel times will no longer be available. If you are heading for Liverpool Street the current cheapest fare is £10 for a super off peak return v £11 on Oyster. Next year Oyster will be £11.20 v £11.70 for an off peak return. Its looking like Oyster will be the cheapest way to travel to London, but for intermediate journeys it may not be.Some Oyster fares not involving London are actually going down in January. Make use of the online fare finders to find which is cheapest. The Oyster fares also apply to Contactless card payments. If you have discount rail cards you need to get them added to your oyster, but I understand it is only tube stations or possibly London Overground stations like Cheshunt that can do this.
craig

Post by craig »

My son has just turned 16 (Yr11) so his Travelcard issued by HCC is no longer valid for his daily journey to RHS in Hertford.
The HCC Train Card, which gives him 1/3 off, isn't available to him as he's not in the 6th form yet - for some strange reason, they miss 16 year old yr 11s!

The options are to get the 16-25 railcard http://www.16-25railcard.co.uk/ or an Oyster Card so he can get to Hertford.

An Oyster should give him 1/2 fare, (normal 2.60 / reduced to 1.30) per journey, but as he is still in school, we have to buy him a 11-15 Oyster Photo card and then buy him a 16+ Photocard when he starts 6th form in Sept 2016. £15 admin fee for each application which is annoying.

Has anyone else found any useful tips to getting their children to Hertford by train?
KateG28

Post by KateG28 »

Not sure this helps much but if you have a gold card then a Young persons railcard is £10.

I bought one for my son as he travels regularly to Broxbourne for his rowing club
Mel

Post by Mel »

Have Virgin now taken over the line?
kate darcy

Post by kate darcy »

Craig we have exactly the same problem and ave been trying to resolve it for some months as my son turned 16 in October. It's crazy that he can get reduced fare in the sixth form but not year 11. I have phoned and emailed the council on several occassions and get a different reply every time, no one seems to know what the rules are. I have also spoken to the train company as to the best option and again get different answers, some of which turn out completly incorrect. If we lived in a London borough we could get reduced fare with Oyster but not if we live in Hertfordshire. I have also countacted my local councilor who sounded interested intially but have not heard back.
craig

Post by craig »

Thanks for the replies all.
Kate - I'm stunned the card issued by HCC stops when your child turns 16. How bloody stupid of them.
For now - I've got a 16-25 railcard which gives 1/3 off but it costs £30.00 - I've found a voucher that knocked a few quid off.
Use NUS12 on the website as you sign up - I did it all online using data from my son's passport and uploaded a photograph.

It's the same discount HCC travel card offers for 6 formers.

I still think the Oyster photo card is a possibility as it is half price travel.
You can apply for a 11-15 card and makes no reference to having to live in London.
Section 6 of their terms is for non-London residents. Download this
11-15 Zip Oyster Photocard Terms and Conditions.pdf
(68.12 KiB) Downloaded 873 times
I'm concerned that the card may deduct more from the card then it costs for the Journey. It'll require monitoring very closely.

I'm surprised no one else has found a solution as there are many school children who get the train to Hertford.
If only they spoke to each other about it but it's just not their problem I guess.
Ian

Post by Ian »

Can't give any specific help I'm afraid but it does seem ridiculous and I expect it comes from having so many organizations involved in providing the services.

I wonder if it's worth contacting the Herts Education Authority and asking them to provide or get more clarity to/from schools and train operators? At the very least, it would seem sensible to have all of the options explained in the school travel plans at http://www.hertsdirect.org/services/tra ... schtravel/, at the moment they only talk about their own card which costs 20 quid a year!

Not much help to you I know but from this academic year all "young people will be required to stay in some form of education or training until their 18th birthday" see http://www.hertsdirect.org/services/edlearn/furedu/ so doesn't it make more sense to change the ages these cards run from? Ie have a 11-17 card and an 18-25 young persons railcard?
Alec

Post by Alec »

It's a shame that, as expected, the introduction of Oyster to our region has just added more complexity to our fare system.

"Oyster is always cheaper than a paper ticket"...

Ware-Hertford East with Oyster each way is £1:40 off peak or £2.40 peak (06:30-09:30, 16:00-19:00)

With a paper ticket, it's £3.20 return off-peak or £4 return peak. Peak time runs from 05:55, but does let you catch trains from 08:55, and doesn't affect the afternoon return.

So you're really got to understand the journeys and the different peak times to get the best value. I know it's only pennies in the end, but it's all a bit rubbish really.

And then there's the fact that you can't get reduced fares from various railcards like Family & Friends.

Oh for a simplified, and better value, rail system...