Rescued from the River Lea - 1941.

Questions and discussions about the town's past
Moulder

Rescued from the River Lea - 1941.

Post by Moulder »

This is going to be a long shot.

Are there any WOLers that have an elderly relative or friend who was, or knows of somebody who was, pulled out of the river at the back of the Priory in 1941. This person fell in the river whilst playing on some barges with friends and would be about 80 now?

In for the long haul .................
jasmine98

Re: Rescued from the River Lea - 1941.

Post by jasmine98 »

A friend of mine says she remembers a Mick Saunders and his wife Annie who both fell in the river near the Ware lock over fifty years ago. Mr Saunders was apparently the lock keeper at the time and his wife worked in Jaggs & Edwards bakers in Ware. Hope this helps.
Matt40

Post by Matt40 »

Interesting thread! What has generated this enquiry?
Moulder

Post by Moulder »

Ah I remember Mick the lock keeper from my fishing days during school hols.

The reason for the thread is that my 86 year old father mentioned to me the other day how, when he was working near the river behind the Priory he heard shouting and saw a young boy (about 10) had fallen in the river and was in serious trouble. My Dad (14 at the time) jumped onto one of the barges - stretched himself out and after the young lad grabbed onto him - pulled him out.

It just occured to me that maybe, in this digital age, that young lad, or a younger relative, might just, maybe, have access to WOL ...................
shinybeans

Post by shinybeans »

Hi, it probably would have been reported in the Mercury - they are kept on microfilm at Hertfordshire Archives, County Hall.
Moulder

Post by Moulder »

Hi - I wouldn't have thought so as the lad simply walked off home dripping wet. A couple of days later the boy pointed out my Dad to his Mum who went and thanked him and offered a small cash reward but Dad just said "No thats ok" and that was that.

It is a very long shot that the boy involved, or a younger relative may read this post. Stranger things have happened.
Matt40

Post by Matt40 »

A guy who was going to jump off a london bridge was reunited with the bloke who talked him out of it a few weeks back. I look forward to hearing of your success with this!