Gilpin Closing

Contributions, adding your business or organisation to Ware Online, suggestions and general feedback about Ware Online.
treacleminer

Re: Gilpin Closing

Post by treacleminer »

But at least work has started on the old Wine Lodge. be one less empty premises, whatever it is going to become...
Mel

Post by Mel »

and the Cannon Tavern has closed
New Boy

Post by New Boy »

the Wine Lodge is becoming a bar and B&B
Lets Talk

Post by Lets Talk »

I have heard that a Pub Chain has now come in to keep the Gilpin as a Pub , has anyone else heard this ?
The Masked Woler

Post by The Masked Woler »

Lets Talk wrote:I have heard that a Pub Chain has now come in to keep the Gilpin as a Pub , has anyone else heard this ?

No, but it would be surprising. Macs were selling to a developer, the reason given for closing it was to concentrate on (for that read remove competition from) their new pub up the road. So I can't see how selling to another chain makes any sense at all (but then I never saw the sense in closing it with the new hotel opening over the road)
Bikerbiker

Post by Bikerbiker »

The Premier Inn being built over the road will, I believe, have a Beefeater built along with it as is usual on most Premier Inn sites, as they they are owned and run by Whitbread. That is another reason for the closure I take it.
Desederata

Post by Desederata »

I have read a post on Spotted in Ware tonight that Marstons Brewery have stepped in. Hope it's true! Can anybody throw any more light on this please?
IGS

Post by IGS »

Desederata wrote:I have read a post on Spotted in Ware tonight that Marstons Brewery have stepped in. Hope it's true! Can anybody throw any more light on this please?
If they did would it be viable for where the pub is? I know that smeone is trying to get the place registered as a Community Asset,
Desederata

Post by Desederata »

As local residents for more than 20 years we know that The Gilpin was doing fine before McMullen's closed it. Cannot think why it would not be a viable option for a pub still. Good for the community too.
Wareite1969

Post by Wareite1969 »

Desederata wrote:As local residents for more than 20 years we know that The Gilpin was doing fine before McMullen's closed it. Cannot think why it would not be a viable option for a pub still. Good for the community too.
I'm sorry but unless you were the landlord you can have no idea how the pub was doing financially. As 'Locals' go it was huge and I can image its overheads were large and needs a high turnover to make itself pay.

I hope it is retained as a pub. Would be good to see it reach its potential as a venue but it's outside space is right on the road so doesn't exactly sell itself as quiet country pub to spend time on a nice Sunday afternoon. It is a difficult venue to make consistent money all year round but I truly hope someone manages it but I fear we're just in for yet another housing development.