Bogus Door Collections

Contributions, adding your business or organisation to Ware Online, suggestions and general feedback about Ware Online.
Whereaami

Bogus Door Collections

Post by Whereaami »

From Herts Police - OWL Messaging

Bogus Door Collections By Persons Claiming To Be From The Royal British Legion

Dear Watch Member,

The Royal British Legion have informed us that they have been alerted to some bogus door to door canvassers currently operating in Hertfordshire who are claiming to be operating on their behalf.

These people have ID and claim that they are helping the British Legion to help Army Personnel get jobs.

The Royal British Legion Head Office have confirmed that they do not have any Door to Door programmes running during the Winter months. Therefore, these canvassers are operating illegally.

Please share this information and should you receive a door to door caller claiming to represent The Royal British Legion, please report this to police and under no circumstances give them any personal details or donations.

Thank you

If you need to reply regarding this message, click on this email address: jennifer.morris@herts.pnn.police.uk

Regards,
Jenny Morris
OWL Support Administrator
Neighbourhood Watch
Email: jennifer.morris@herts.pnn.police.uk

Police Contact Advice:
Telephone 999 in an emergency where there is a danger to life or a crime is in progress.
Telephone 101 for non-emergencies where police attendance is required, to report a crime or to report any other incidents. Calls to 101 have a fixed cost of 15p per call.
If you are calling about the above message, please tell us that you are a watch member and are responding to an OWL message.
Steve

Re: Bogus Door Collections

Post by Steve »

I have a simple rule: NEVER give money to ANYONE who knocks on your front door, regardless of what they're offering or any ID.

No reputable company or organisation runs door-to-door operations these days.
IGS

Post by IGS »

Steve wrote:I have a simple rule: NEVER give money to ANYONE who knocks on your front door, regardless of what they're offering or any ID.

Poppy sellers?
Steve

Post by Steve »

IGS wrote:
Steve wrote:I have a simple rule: NEVER give money to ANYONE who knocks on your front door, regardless of what they're offering or any ID.

Poppy sellers?
I've never seen poppies sold door-to-door. Same would apply though, especially given how Britain First have been known to hijack the campaign.
Aardvaark

Post by Aardvaark »

Avon? ;)

Actually I agree - the easiest thing is to never buy anything at the door - I always say I don't keep any money in the house and so never buy at the door. Haven't met any who produce a card machine yet!!

Edited to add:
We were obviously posting at the same time as I hadn't seen your comment re poppy sellers Steve. We always buy from an old veteran who lives in our road - I think everyone round here buys from him; he's been selling poppies door to door for years and I' really surprised you never seen one in your neighbourhood.
Steve

Post by Steve »

Aardvaark wrote:

Avon? ;)
Perhaps I should have included the words unsolicited and strangers in my post.
Andy B

Post by Andy B »

To be honest I think Avon are just as bad my wife almost feels obliged to buy something as she knows her, yes Avon are in NZ too.