School Parent Governors to be scrapped

Contributions, adding your business or organisation to Ware Online, suggestions and general feedback about Ware Online.
Pat-H

Re: School Parent Governors to be scrapped

Post by Pat-H »

The Masked Woler wrote:
Pat-H wrote:
malcmac wrote:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

great laugh to start off the weekend!!
Funny because? Losing state education is something you are hoping will happen soon?
No, funny because apparently having Governors who actually know what they are doing is going to bring about the end of state education.
Depends on what you think a Governor should know and do.

As an unpaid role I think its inappropriate to expect people with specific needed skills to do it for free.
The LEA was designed to provide those needed skills and services in a more effective way.

Parent Governors are there because they are parents and it was felt important that the school governance had experience it could draw from people who know what being a parent is and who have children involved in the education process.

So I don't think its funny that we now have decided that parents have no say in school Governance and that are schools are now just a business with the sole aim of making a profit.

The LEA wasn't perfect but it was far better than we will have and it was easier to fix and change than go the current route.
Schools using more and more un qualified teachers, no requirements for healthy meals, National curriculum gone.
The low value placed on the next generations education over the short term gain in shareholders profits via academy chains isn't funny either. Unless you don't have children or can afford private education then I guess its a real laugh.
New Boy

Post by New Boy »

Ware online relevance? Hop over to UKIPOnline.
Pat-H

Post by Pat-H »

Sorry NewBoy I thought we had children and even schools in Ware? ( don't mean "we" as in you an me together :-)

I know the politics of our local community are considered a unsuitable for the Ware Online Forum less they generate interest and posts.
But I suspect the impact on schooling within Ware is of interest and relevant to some forum members.

No requirement to read forum topics that have no interest to you. Its hard to imagine their presence is causing you unpleasant connections to the reality of our local life.
The Masked Woler

Post by The Masked Woler »

Pat-H wrote:Sorry NewBoy I thought we had children and even schools in Ware? ( don't mean "we" as in you an me together :-)

I know the politics of our local community are considered a unsuitable for the Ware Online Forum less they generate interest and posts.
But I suspect the impact on schooling within Ware is of interest and relevant to some forum members.

No requirement to read forum topics that have no interest to you. Its hard to imagine their presence is causing you unpleasant connections to the reality of our local life.
I suspect the reason it's considered unsuitable is because it simple leads to bloviation and people expounding their own political slant (at length) without adding to the discussion. By way of example no one has answered the question of why doing away with parent governors (which most schools cant find anyway so there are always vacancies) means an end to state education. In my experience there were very few agreed to stand and some of those barely ever turned up, so schools have been doing without them in any event (YMMV)
KateG28

Post by KateG28 »

mb1 wrote:I personally find the statement that parent governors don;t know what they're doing extremely offensive. Almost as offensive as the government handing state schools over to commercial chains which, according to Ofsted, drain education cash out of budgets to overpay CEOs and give dividends to shareholders, leaving kids with failing schools and poor grades in exams.
Are you a parent governor (or have been?)

And To the Masked WOLER, what does YMMV mean?
Steve

Post by Steve »

KateG28 wrote:And To the Masked WOLER, what does YMMV mean?
https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/your_mileage_may_vary
JCB

Post by JCB »

Cambridge Dictionaries Online:

› written abbreviation for ​your ​mileage may ​vary: used, in ​emails for ​example, to ​warn ​people that a ​piece of ​advice, ​although it has ​helped you, might not ​help them, or to say that different things are ​attractive to different ​people:
Their first ​album is ​better, but of ​course YMMV.
Pat-H

Post by Pat-H »

The Masked Woler wrote:
Pat-H wrote:Sorry NewBoy I thought we had children and even schools in Ware? ( don't mean "we" as in you an me together :-)

I suspect the reason it's considered unsuitable is because it simple leads to bloviation and people expounding their own political slant (at length) without adding to the discussion. By way of example no one has answered the question of why doing away with parent governors (which most schools cant find anyway so there are always vacancies) means an end to state education. In my experience there were very few agreed to stand and some of those barely ever turned up, so schools have been doing without them in any event (YMMV)
State education is effectively done away with moving forwards isn't in question. I raised the concern that one of the last remaining means of accountability is being removed.
Governing bodies already had capacity to appoint co-opted governors for specific skills and of course many parents have skills useful to a school. Making a point of removing parent governors is a deliberate step to remove the last link between the management and the community.