School Parent Governors to be scrapped

Contributions, adding your business or organisation to Ware Online, suggestions and general feedback about Ware Online.
Pat-H

School Parent Governors to be scrapped

Post by Pat-H »

Aware that this is a political issue but assuming as Ware has schools it may be relevant...
It was of interest to read that the Government are scrapping parent Governors in favour of those that can bring real skills to the school.
Also of course that all schools will have top be academies of course.
Warewolf

Re: School Parent Governors to be scrapped

Post by Warewolf »

Why am I not surprised, another step towards privatising the education system.
KateG28

Post by KateG28 »

To be honest I am not sure this is a bad idea.

I was a parent governor for my son's primary and it became really difficult with what we were expected to do. We had to make pronouncements on things we knew nothing about. I was the finance governor and had to try and run the school's finances with no knowledge. I did try and attend the training courses (to be fair we were offered lots of training) but I had childcare issues and more time spent on this voluntary job. Most of the time I just had to agree with the school staff as I had no idea of what the alternatives where, so where was I adding value?

The perfect solution would have been a parent who was already in finance but most schools struggle to get anyone to be a parent governor and pretty much have to take what they are given.
Pat-H

Post by Pat-H »

I also have mixed views on it.
As a parent its hard to be impartial and I've seen too many Governors make choices based on their child's interests not the school as a whole.
And the flip side of taking a stand against "management" if needed while your child is at the school.
And as said trying to find the skills you need within the parents isn't easy.
Too often Parent Governors become rubber stampers...
malcmac

Post by malcmac »

Warewolf wrote:Why am I not surprised, another step towards privatising the education system.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

great laugh to start off the weekend!!
Pat-H

Post by Pat-H »

malcmac wrote:
Warewolf wrote:Why am I not surprised, another step towards privatising the education system.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Funny because? Losing state education is something you are hoping will happen soon?
RCR1

Post by RCR1 »

malcmac wrote:

Where's the Like button?
The Masked Woler

Post by The Masked Woler »

Pat-H wrote:
malcmac wrote:

Funny because? Losing state education is something you are hoping will happen soon?
No, funny because apparently having Governors who actually know what they are doing is going to bring about the end of state education.
mb1

Post by mb1 »

I personally find the statement that parent governors don;t know what they're doing extremely offensive. Almost as offensive as the government handing state schools over to commercial chains which, according to Ofsted, drain education cash out of budgets to overpay CEOs and give dividends to shareholders, leaving kids with failing schools and poor grades in exams.
malcmac

Post by malcmac »

mb1 wrote:I personally find the statement that parent governors don;t know what they're doing extremely offensive. Almost as offensive as the government handing state schools over to commercial chains which, according to Ofsted, drain education cash out of budgets to overpay CEOs and give dividends to shareholders, leaving kids with failing schools and poor grades in exams.
I find it offensive how easily offended people are these days.