Fanshawe Opening times over xmas(or not)

Your thoughts on what's to see and do
Mancunian

Re: Fanshawe Opening times over xmas(or not)

Post by Mancunian »

trev wrote:I find it somewhat ironic that Everyone Active, the company that runs the gym, try to encourage more people to use their facilities by telling us that we need to get some exercise at least five days a week! Then they close for eight days, preventing us from using the gym at a time when most people would want to.

I agree with Pat-H. I am a member who has paid an annual fee which entitles me to use the gym as often as I like and so I am not happy about this closure. If you are a business that provides a service to fee paying members, that service needs to be available at the time those members require it.
I must be losing it as i can't understand why everybody wants to go swimming or to the gym at xmas, am i missing something here? going swimming or to the gym is not or never would even be remotely on my radar especially at xmas of all times, oh well each to their own i suppose but can't get my head around that one!
Bikerbiker

Post by Bikerbiker »

Pat-H wrote:
Bikerbiker wrote:I think most of us have the Christmas spirit, it seems the staff of Fanshawe are lacking it!! :shock:
This isn't the staff at Fanshawe who have no say in the closure. My understanding is they are being made to take AL to cover the additional closed days.
The staff have been very sympathetic.
I've also heard mention that essential maintenance maybe scheduled for that down time and while I'd agree Fanshawe is in desperate need of some work I'd argue that choosing a period when they should be busy is very poor planning.

I suspect this is a cost saving measure and I imagine next year we'll see 10 days or more of closure ( It was 6 days last year I think) and then we'll reach a point when attendance will be so low closure and selling off for the land will be the only "Viable" option.
Now we can all see the full picture we can be a bit more sympathetic. Should have been told all of this before.
Pat-H

Post by Pat-H »

A reply to Mancunian from Mrs Pat-H: I don't like going to the cinema and haven't been for years. Yet if you had an annual cinema pass and found out the cinema was going to be closed for 8 days over Christmas when you really wanted to go, I would not suggest that as I don't like going to the cinema then you must be mad to do so (which is what you said to us about swimming).

Leisure facilities (including cinemas!) should be open when members have leisure time. I have no issue with a reduction in hours, say opening from 9am-1pm each day and closing on Christmas Day and Boxing Day. What I object to is that the pool and gym will be closed completely for 8 whole days. As someone who takes fitness seriously this is a big disappointment and I have paid a year's membership fees up front to use the gym or pool seven days a week should I wish to do so. Many others have paid up front like me, so to be told there is not enough footfall is unacceptable. Any members who wish to lodge a complaint can contact the manager: hilarytaitt@everyoneactive.com and copy in the EHDC councillor for leisure: Linda.Haysey@eastherts.gov.uk. Jo H
Mancunian

Post by Mancunian »

Pat-H wrote:A reply to Mancunian from Mrs Pat-H: I don't like going to the cinema and haven't been for years. Yet if you had an annual cinema pass and found out the cinema was going to be closed for 8 days over Christmas when you really wanted to go, I would not suggest that as I don't like going to the cinema then you must be mad to do so (which is what you said to us about swimming).

Leisure facilities (including cinemas!) should be open when members have leisure time. I have no issue with a reduction in hours, say opening from 9am-1pm each day and closing on Christmas Day and Boxing Day. What I object to is that the pool and gym will be closed completely for 8 whole days. As someone who takes fitness seriously this is a big disappointment and I have paid a year's membership fees up front to use the gym or pool seven days a week should I wish to do so. Many others have paid up front like me, so to be told there is not enough footfall is unacceptable. Any members who wish to lodge a complaint can contact the manager: hilarytaitt@everyoneactive.com and copy in the EHDC councillor for leisure: Linda.Haysey@eastherts.gov.uk. Jo H
reply for Mrs pat H,

i don't recall calling you or other people mad, i said i (that's me by the way) cannot get my head around people wanting to go swimming etc at xmas, also i don't go the cinema either, haven't been for years, i think the last film i ever saw there was the original Jurassic Park. I have a year season ticket for the train which i pay for upfront, it's for 365 days a year but the trains don't run every day, also i don't get to use it much at weekends as i don't have the free time on my hands so i'm paying for it when i can't really use it ! Oh and Mrs Mancunian (actually from Ware) also doesn't understand why its a major issue the gum being closed at xmas,

right back again, if it's true they are doing works etc to the gym and bits when do you think they should do these! doing them in the quiet xmas period is the best time to do it just like the trains when they do all their mass engineering works, i'm sorry but expecting a facility to be open 24 seven (except xmas day an boxing day) is not practical, if your both such massive fitness fans as somebody has already mentioned on here we have a lovely huge river to run, walk or cycle along and the views are better as well.
Joho

Post by Joho »

Hi Mancunian, Mrs Pat-H here again. Like you we do use the towpath. Just last weekend I had an optician's appointment in Hertford and decided it would be easier to cycle than drive and worry about finding a parking space. The weather is not always so good in December though.

Lots of people work during the Christmas period including medical staff, taxi drivers, bar staff, supermarket staff etc. I don't think that 4 days closure would be unreasonable, but 8 days seems excessive.

I asked for a list of the maintenance works to be carried out but was then told in an email that the reason is low footfall - this should not matter when they have received money upfront in membership fees unlike say a shopkeeper who needs people to walk through the door to put money in his till.

My membership is excellent value for money, the staff are friendly and helpful and generally I'm very pleased. What I am cross about is the lengthy closure period (which has been decided by head office) meaning I'm not getting the service in December which I have paid for and have plenty of time at my disposal (for once) to use.
Joho

Post by Joho »

Wodson Park is open 9-4 all through the Christmas period except for the 3 bank holidays. So here's a thought - what if the poolside was closed at Fanshawe for the 8 days but the gym was kept open for similar hours to Wodson? At least that way those of us with membership of both pool and gym could continue to use the facility. Personally I prefer to swim but use the gym from time to time. Plan B in our house is to drive to the Sports Village at the Uni in Hatfield (who are remaining open for most days despite the fact that most of the students will have gone home for Christmas) on 4 of the Fanshawe closure days - but this will incur at least 100 extra miles travelled over the 4 dates so not the cheapest or most environmentally solution, but one that works for us. My mum, who is in her late seventies, is arthritic and needs to swim several times a week and this is the best plan to keep her mobile.
Whereaami

Post by Whereaami »

Joho wrote:Wodson Park is open 9-4 all through the Christmas period except for the 3 bank holidays. So here's a thought - what if the poolside was closed at Fanshawe for the 8 days but the gym was kept open for similar hours to Wodson? At least that way those of us with membership of both pool and gym could continue to use the facility. Personally I prefer to swim but use the gym from time to time. Plan B in our house is to drive to the Sports Village at the Uni in Hatfield (who are remaining open for most days despite the fact that most of the students will have gone home for Christmas) on 4 of the Fanshawe closure days - but this will incur at least 100 extra miles travelled over the 4 dates so not the cheapest or most environmentally solution, but one that works for us. My mum, who is in her late seventies, is arthritic and needs to swim several times a week and this is the best plan to keep her mobile.
Hartham is open, is closer & i believe you can use your fanshawe membership to get in.
Joho

Post by Joho »

Thanks for mentioning this. Hartham is still closed for 5 of the 8 days, and I'm not keen on Hartham. I swam there in November and found both the pool and changing rooms chilly. If I found it cold then it will be too cold for my elderly mum, so Hatfield is the better option for us.