25 July - A10 North closed at hertford

Your views on traffic and parking in the town
mb1

25 July - A10 North closed at hertford

Post by mb1 »

http://www.hertfordshiremercury.co.uk/N ... 121020.htm

A caravan has overturned on the A10 and it is blocked going north at Hertford. See link above for the Mercury picture.
kevin phillips bong

Re: 25 July - A10 North closed at hertford

Post by kevin phillips bong »

A10 hertford? - Its never been through.
John_D

Post by John_D »

I arrived on the scene, northbound on the A10, a couple of minutes after this happened. The car did not appear damaged, other than the back wheels were two foot off of the ground, the occupants of the car were sitting up on the bank beside the road and no emergency vehicles had yet arrived, the traffic was able to slowly get around the obstruction in the outside lane. Hope it was the end of their holiday and not the beginning. :cry:
Matt40

Post by Matt40 »

Caravans should be banned, seriously imo! The idea of dragging half a ton of metal behind a car scares the hell out of me!
Andy B

Post by Andy B »

There are countries where you have to pass a test to be able to tow a caravan or horse float but with the number of caravans in the UK it would take awhile to work through everyone who wanted to take it. We had a couple of caravans which my wife would tow quite competently.
Matt40

Post by Matt40 »

Lol, still not convinced Andy. I think its the 'environmental' thing as well. There are static caravan parks all over the country and yet people still insist on pulling their own down to the seaside, why? So then when it tips over in some small Dorset one way road down to the beach it then clogs up half a million people trying to make their way west as well... I agree with Jeremy Clarkson on this topic, which is unusual. I'll relent a bit and allow horses boxes though (after a mandatory test)
Andy B

Post by Andy B »

Unfortunately Matt unless a compulsory test is brought in nothing will change, I have always thought that the majority of people who tow anything do not do it often enough to become competent at it.
QMouse

Post by QMouse »

Its not the drivers who should be tested, the trailer should. You can tow a trailer / caravan with defects you would never allow on a car.
Andy B

Post by Andy B »

QMouse wrote:Its not the drivers who should be tested, the trailer should. You can tow a trailer / caravan with defects you would never allow on a car.
Out here trailer of any description have their own number plate and have to be tested every six months the same as cars so the standard is higher although there are those who don't bother with the test and do get caught at some point. I doubt I'll happen in the UK though.
Pat-H

Post by Pat-H »

The statistics actually show caravan's to be a low factor in road traffic accidents.
Mainly I suspect because they travel at a sensible speed and pull away slowly. Interesting that we feel they are a danger and yet most are passed by drivers doing well over the speed limit.
And on the environmental side. Towing a caravan may reduce your fuel economy a bit but compared to flying off on holiday I'd say it's a very green solution. And for the most part it also keeps the spending here in the UK.
And the big advantage over static caravan setups is you can move if the weather isn't good and not everyone wants to spend their holiday by the seaside.