The Bourne playground

Your thoughts on what's to see and do
Hazel

The Bourne playground

Post by Hazel »

So, my parents have just moved to the High Oak Road area and I can see on the google earth map that there is a playground in the Bourne Park. However, how on earth do you get to it?! Can anyone please give me a hint, or even better, a detailed description? Walking directions would be fabulous, if possible,

Thanks so much.
IGS

Re: The Bourne playground

Post by IGS »

If it's the one that runs behind High Oak Road then walk along High Oak Road towards Kingsway, turn left into Kingsway and it is a few yards along on the left.
Hazel

Post by Hazel »

Lovely, thanks very much. I was hoping there might be a cut through somewhere in High Oak Road, to save having to go the whole way back just to get to the play area. I can't piggy-back my daughter that far!
IGS

Post by IGS »

Hazel wrote:Lovely, thanks very much. I was hoping there might be a cut through somewhere in High Oak Road, to save having to go the whole way back just to get to the play area. I can't piggy-back my daughter that far!
There might be one in Southall Close but only found it once accidentally. I'm sure someone else may be able to give better details on that one.
Whereaami

Post by Whereaami »

IGS wrote:
Hazel wrote:Lovely, thanks very much. I was hoping there might be a cut through somewhere in High Oak Road, to save having to go the whole way back just to get to the play area. I can't piggy-back my daughter that far!
There might be one in Southall Close but only found it once accidentally. I'm sure someone else may be able to give better details on that one.
Yes there is!, At the far end of Southall Close, between the last house and Just before the flats on the left hand side there is a path which leads down to some steps to the Bourne. The bridge across to the play area is to the left of the steps.
Matt40

Post by Matt40 »

However, the playground is no longer there, just a lot of levelled earth unfortunately.
mb1

Post by mb1 »

What happened to the playground? and when?
Matt40

Post by Matt40 »

I now have a feeling I dreamt this and it really is still there! The facts are as i know it are they were going to move it to the other side and build a bigger play area partially to get it away from milton road residents who were fed up i think, understandably, from 'yobs' loitering there and being a nuisance. I thought they were going to build something bigger across the 'river' but nothing has happened and yet the smaller playground has been demolished. My memory is hazy on this so don't take it as 'gospel'
mb1

Post by mb1 »

Thanks Matt40, haven't been down there since the Autumn. I'll ask a councillor.
mb1

Post by mb1 »

Heard from East Herts operations. They have detailed plans for the new playground on the other side of the Bourne. They have put these out to tender.