Traffic Observation

Your views on traffic and parking in the town
Matt40

Traffic Observation

Post by Matt40 »

Hi,

Is the traffic in Ware getting worse? I have been here 8 years and I used to be able to get to Broxbourne in fifteen minutes up to about a year ago around the 5.00pm time, now it takes 25 mins and a lot of that is just crawling through Ware high street. I had to go to Hertford yesterday afternoon and the traffic was backed up to the A10! It just feels more like London the last year.

Matt
JudieT

Re: Traffic Observation

Post by JudieT »

I agree Matt, not only are there loads more cars on the roads, some of them a driven extremely badly and some people seem to be in such a rush that they have to overtake and speed on residential roads. Sometimes it takes me over 10 minutes to get down Musley Hill.
Matt40

Post by Matt40 »

I couldn't decide whether it is more cars or just some road set up alterations having local effect knock on?

As for Musley Hill, don't get me started lol! Those maniacs who drive down forgetting, or not knowing, they DON'T have right of way! If ever a road shouldn't have parking then that's the one I reckon.
JudieT

Post by JudieT »

I've always presumed that anyone going uphill had right of way, so I looked it up on http://www.theorytestadvice.co.uk/highw ... rch=uphill and found:

"The Highway Code says that where there is an obstruction on your side of the road, such as a parked car, you should give way to oncoming traffic. However sometimes common sense and courtesy should prevail and the advice of the Highway Code altered to suit the situation. For example, if you are travelling downhill and a large heavy vehicle is travelling uphill with an obstruction on their side of the road, you should give way to the lorry allowing them to continue up the hill without stopping. It is far easier for you to restart downhill than it is for the lorry going uphill."

So on Musley where the cars park on the 'down side', those going down the hill should give way to oncoming traffic, not necessarily because it is a hill, but because that's where the cars are parked. I wish they'd make one way.
kevin phillips bong

Post by kevin phillips bong »

Yes traffic is worse though at this time of year everyone's back at work/school from their holidays plus the weather's not as nice. Far more people live here now and with 'useless' public transport how are they going to get about? of course the car.
It would help if we stopped this fetish of building flats with the odd house all over the place but alas governments see it as a way of employment! If London were to build more affordable homes - people wouldn't 'emigrate' here. We need another 'new town' somewhere in the South East with proper transport infrastructure which we don't have in Ware.
Talking of public transport - no rush hour train service in Ware and we haven't had one since the dawn of the blasted Stansted Xpress which is why people drive to alternative stations. Buses generally a joke - no rush hour fast service to Stevenage or Cambridge - I don't think HCC have any transport policy at all; they recently announced spending 19 million on traffic improvements on the A602 between Ware n Stevenage with no provision whatsover for buses. Other towns/areas have spent money improving public transport yet HCC, certainly around Ware, haven't spent 1p.
Oh, we need to take out 1 of the 4 pelican crossings in the High Street, that would improve the flow a tiny bit.
Matt40

Post by Matt40 »

That's exactly how I understand it JudieT and most people are more courteous than that even i.e. additionally recognizing those 'downhill' drivers speeding up a bit and then slow up to facilitate smooth running traffic flow, no problem with that either. The lady Audi driver who drove down Musley Hill at breath neck speed this afternoon, misjudged her 'run' and then had the 'hump' when the uphill driver refused to back up, the ensuing stand off was pure comedy!!