Happy Ware Mutiny Day!

Questions and discussions about the town's past
mb1

Happy Ware Mutiny Day!

Post by mb1 »

Today in 1647 some regiments of Cromwell's army mutinied at Corkbush Field which, in those days, was considered part of Ware - it's now Cockbush Avenue just off the Ware Road in Hertford.

You can read about it here: http://www.ourhertfordandware.org.uk/pa ... ?path=0p4p

Cromwell suppressed the mutiny and the army's demands for universal male suffrage; regular elections; an elected head of State - all non-controversial ideas these days but revolutionary back then. So instead of becoming part of a British democratic revolution, they became part of the US constitution - many of the political radicals fled to New England after the Restoration of the monarchy.

This was a well-known part of the civil wars of the 1640s, yet certainly wasn't taught to me in school. I delivered papers on Cockbush Avenue and adjoining streets blissfully unaware of the historic nature of the place.
Scouter

Re: Happy Ware Mutiny Day!

Post by Scouter »

They formed into a great rock band ;) Fairfax, King and Lilbourne feature in close by road names which I've assumed is no coincidence.
John_D

Post by John_D »

I was aware of this some 30 odd years ago when I did some research on Ware's past.
Another interesting fact I came across was the report of Cromwell's army camping
on 'Ware Common' for several weeks. During the building of Wodson Park, I metal detected
the field and found quite a few small metal artefacts from the period, including two small
silver coins of Charles I, both defaced with a small triangular piercing through the crown
on the King's portrait, so fairly sure that area was the 'Ware Common' mentioned. :geek:
mb1

Post by mb1 »

Thanks fo rthat bit of info, I hadn't heard that! This forum can be really good for things like this.
Scouter

Post by Scouter »

Wasn't there also a building demolished in Star Street that was supposed to have garrisoned some Roundheads?
mb1

Post by mb1 »

It's entirely likely that Parliament billeted soldiers in Ware which was sympathetic to radical political and religious ideas at the time. The Hertfordshire militia was part of Parliament's army from the beginning of the Civil Wars.
IGS

Post by IGS »

Is there a more reliable site than wikipedia? I've seen too many errors for my liking:

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ware_Mutiny

Can anyone find a map of the area for the time?
Andy B

Post by Andy B »

Soldiers were billeted in Dolphin House which is now Dolphin House Surgery theres a notice on the wall in the waiting room with some details about the building. I'm unsure what period that was though.
Andrew

Post by Andrew »

I wonder if the building referred to is what was known as Albany's Corn Stores which were demolished about 1960. Nikolaus Pevsner, the architectural historian described it as 'the most interesting building in Ware'. He dated it to the C17th - 'such large commercial premises of so early a date are rare indeed' This would be ideal for billeting soldiers.

http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=v9nm ... re&f=false

What a shame it was demolished.
Andrew

Post by Andrew »

IGS wrote:Is there a more reliable site than wikipedia? I've seen too many errors for my liking:

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ware_Mutiny

Can anyone find a map of the area for the time?
There is a map on page 50 of Alan Thomson's book 'The Ware Mutiny, 1647'. It is based on an eighteenth century map and the route of the road may have changed, but the layout of the fields and buildings wiould have been very similar.