ASDA work started

News and views on shopping in the town.
WickenMan

Re: ASDA work started

Post by WickenMan »

A huge articulated lorry carrying huge concrete blocks was making its way along the High Street yesterday, causing blockages as it went. I guess it may have been bound for the Asda site. Does the development have any restrictions on how building materials and eventually food delivery lorries get to the site, i.e. from the A10/A602 roundabout?
RCR1

Post by RCR1 »

I don't remember anything about the routes for construction lorries which I guess are free to take any route they want, but burried in all the 2010 planning documents was a 'pledge' by ASDA that ALL deliveries will be between 0700 and 2200 AND would only come via the Wademill Road and NOT use the Westmill/Watton Rd. I suppose there is a very slight chance that during construction a proportion of lorries will learn on their first visit that the easiest route for them is not through the town.
Northsider

Post by Northsider »

WickenMan wrote:A huge articulated lorry carrying huge concrete blocks was making its way along the High Street yesterday, causing blockages as it went. I guess it may have been bound for the Asda site. Does the development have any restrictions on how building materials and eventually food delivery lorries get to the site, i.e. from the A10/A602 roundabout?
Won't be building much there yet. Will have to demolish everthing first. Getting on well with the site hoarding as I went past today.
You'd hope the consents have restrictions on deliveries wouldn't you? Building stuff would only come during the day. Hopefully off peak if they've any sense.
John_D

Post by John_D »

mb1 wrote:Ware Tesco stocks at least three varieties of those.
That's what I thought, definitely bought them from Tesco Ware in the past :?
TrapstyleResident

Post by TrapstyleResident »

Not sure if anyone has already posted this somewhere here but this is the latest update regarding the new Asda
It's mostly tailored towards how it will affect the nursery but I think some of you will still find it interesting

I cant upload PDFs to the forum so here is the link
http://gallery.mailchimp.com/5e537b1b31 ... 120314.pdf
John_D

Post by John_D »

Anyone else surprised at the scale of the new Asda building? I, for one, was expecting something on a smaller scale :shock:
Appears to be very much in the style (two levels) and scale of the Harlow Asda in the Water Gardens. I can see Tesco in Ware, and to some extent Hertford, taking a big hit when it opens. ;)
mb1

Post by mb1 »

This is what was planned. It was envisaged as an out of town scale store in a town. That's why the Highways dept said the Watton Road couldn't cope with the traffic it will bring, but were over-ruled by councillors.
Andy B

Post by Andy B »

As I used to live on Westmill Road I always had concerns over the volume of traffic and when speaking to councillors they said "its not a problem" I pointed out the they did not live there so how would they know but were not interested. Highways are quite right in every respect and I hope I'm wrong but I believe its going to be quite different living there once its completed.
Mel

Post by Mel »

well we all know what to do about the Councillors at the next election... sack the lot of them!
kevin phillips bong

Post by kevin phillips bong »

Unfortunately the whole of EHDC vote so while the Ware councillors were against, the 2nd vote was split 7.7, and that numpty from hertford heath had the casting vote and stupidily voted in favour.
But hey ho sad to say the blasted thing is going up and though I live close by I'm glad I don't live on Watton Road, Fanshawe Crescent and Park Rd and my sympathy's go out to those who do.