Wagger's Pub

Your thoughts on what's to see and do
Steve

Re: Wagger's Pub

Post by Steve »

Alec wrote:There was the surprise announcement on the night that the Guitar Club will be taken over and moved to Hertford Corn Exchange. Great to see it continue, and hopefully will pick up some new members, but I'll certainly miss the chance to walk down on a Wednesday night...
So it's hardly Ware Guitar Club anymore, unless it's like Hertford Rugby Club ;)
VicarageRoader

Post by VicarageRoader »

brassdoorknob wrote:Ah, so thinking ahead, amongst other equally important things, we need a new venue for the beer festival? Wodson Park?
The Drill Hall would be brilliant.

It could be expanded then :D
Alec

Post by Alec »

VicarageRoader wrote: The Drill Hall would be brilliant.
It could be expanded then :D
Agree with the Drill Hall suggestion - a great use for such a big space! Though it's not so friendly for live music unless rammed and with a quality PA. Plus there's nowhere for people to get away from the music if they don't want it.

But, there's no hard rule to say you have to have music - and it's traditionally been on only the second night, anyway.

(How) would a BBQ be feasible there? Or maybe just run food from the kitchen?
craig

Post by craig »

Whooooaa there. Please people.
The Arts Centre, the venue for the Beer Festival, is not in doubt and will continue in it's current format until the 'volunteer' organisers decide otherwise.

This topic is about Waggers closing down. Please take your Beer Festival planning to another thread, or better still - join the Beer Festival 'volunteer' committee and aire your suggestions there.
Littlejon

Post by Littlejon »

I'm very interested in finding out who or where in the council has responsibility for administering this site! If anyone knows... drop me a DM.
IGS

Post by IGS »

Littlejon wrote:I'm very interested in finding out who or where in the council has responsibility for administering this site! If anyone knows... drop me a DM.
I've just been searching through East Herts website and couldn't find anything. It's probably best to ring them or email them.
kevin phillips bong

Post by kevin phillips bong »

First of all Arts Centre has a lease of at least 15 years from beloved ehdc so beer festivals fine thankfully.

Now onto Waggers, everyone knows Pete wanted to leave as the family couldn't carry on with it. Shame the name will disappear from the town as they've done a lot for charities over the years also a shame no real notice about it actually closing - surely wonderful ehdc could have let them carry on to Christmas.

Would be nice to know what is going to happen to the building as it has great potential - I heard industrial which surely would need change of use?
IGS

Post by IGS »

kevin phillips bong wrote:First of all Arts Centre has a lease of at least 15 years from beloved ehdc so beer festivals fine thankfully.

Now onto Waggers, everyone knows Pete wanted to leave as the family couldn't carry on with it. Shame the name will disappear from the town as they've done a lot for charities over the years also a shame no real notice about it actually closing - surely wonderful ehdc could have let them carry on to Christmas.

Would be nice to know what is going to happen to the building as it has great potential - I heard industrial which surely would need change of use?
Glad to hear the beer festival is safe.

I think it was Pete's decision to close before Christmas. But I could be wrong.
Byronsnr

Post by Byronsnr »

Regular users of the Arts Centre believe they have eight years left on their lease but there may of course be overiding clauses in their lease ! and there has been some reference locally to planning permission for the South Maltings in Kibes Lane which may be the same site - I don't know the answr to that one !
IGS

Post by IGS »

Byronsnr wrote:Regular users of the Arts Centre believe they have eight years left on their lease but there may of course be overiding clauses in their lease ! and there has been some reference locally to planning permission for the South Maltings in Kibes Lane which may be the same site - I don't know the answr to that one !
It's the same building. See topic on Maltings on Kibes Lane:

http://wareonline.co.uk/discussion/view ... f=35&t=111