Green parakeet

Contributions, adding your business or organisation to Ware Online, suggestions and general feedback about Ware Online.
Scouter

Green parakeet

Post by Scouter »

Unless it's a recent escapee I saw a green parakeet fly over today (about 3:15). If you've ever queued on the M25 you may have seen them fly over but this is the first one I've seen.

It headed South so I'm not sure we'll see it any time soon but I'm not surprised as they seem to be spreading quickly.
Bikerbiker

Re: Green parakeet

Post by Bikerbiker »

Right pests they are too. We certainly don't want them around here. Noisy, dirty, unsociable blighters. :x
Mel

Post by Mel »

friends of ours in Reigate get them in their garden
Blueboy

Post by Blueboy »

We had flocks of about 100 over our garden at one time but there was a cull and they reduced dramatically in numbers but they are growing again. They pecked away at the sheaths holding the safety net around my daughter's trampoline until there was no effective safety net. That apart they are a picturesque addition to our garden.
Scouter

Post by Scouter »

I must say that I've heard about them being a bit of a pest. The closest sightings I've had previously were at Gilwell Scout HQ in Chingford, Essex which is very roughly the distance from Enfield to here so perhaps it's not too surprising to see one.
mb1

Post by mb1 »

There are loads and loads of them in hyde Park and other London parks, not really surprised if they're breeding and spreading out.
Aardvaark

Post by Aardvaark »

There is a large colony in the Watford area but so far they don't seem to have spread this way. We did have one stray in a tree in our garden a couple of years ago and expected to see more but have never seen another one.
Bikerbiker

Post by Bikerbiker »

I think they are classed as pests like pigeons, crows and magpies and can be culled. You only have to ask the local birdwatchers/clubs what they think about them. Most of them will say they are nice, floating in a pot with carrots and potatoes!