Bury St Edmonds RFC v Hertford RFC result

Discussion on local sporting activities, fixtures and clubs
Andy B

Bury St Edmonds RFC v Hertford RFC result

Post by Andy B »

The first of two pre-Christmas away games this Saturday against Bury St Edmonds.
Once again 5th place Hertford play the team below them so another tough encounter.

Kick off 3 pm.
Andy B

Re: Bury St Edmonds RFC v Hertford RFC result

Post by Andy B »

A clean sheet was kept by both sides through to the 17th minute when BSE (Bury St Edmonds) converted a try, 7 - 0. 11 minutes later Jack Mann replied with a penalty, 7 - 3. But then it seems the wheels came off BSE converted on 30 minutes and score another try on 37 minutes then Jack Mann again score a penalty to end the half 19 - 6. Hertford came out fighting and a drop goal from Jack Mann to close up a little at 19 - 9 but that was it for Hertford with BSE scoring a 65th minute penalty where Hales was binned, 73rd minute try, 78th minute penalty and a final converted try on the final whistle leaving Hertford 37 - 9 down. This has dropped Hertford down to seventh with BSE and CS Rugby both going above them and the pack of four close behind a good finish to the first half of the season would be appreciated.
patthefatcat

Post by patthefatcat »

oh well, it was Hertford, who cares????
Billywindsock

Post by Billywindsock »

Very poor result from a poor game.
Andy B

Post by Andy B »

patthefatcat wrote:oh well, it was Hertford, who cares????
I can never understand this sort of post its pointless.
Blueboy

Post by Blueboy »

I had my say on this several years ago but can't resist getting into it again. After all, surely it is an attitude that can be easily understood.

There has always been a rivalry between Ware and Hertford (nowadays good natured) and for a rugby club to play in Ware but call itself Hertford does seem to be what? Lets say cheeky? Having learnt at Hertford Grammar School that I could "forget all about soccah" as I was going to play "ruggah; a man's game, a gentleman's game" this kind of aloofness by the local club does rather reinforce the stereotype of rugby as a middle class game not for the likes of us local yokels.

I understand the historical reasons why Hertford is in the club's title but it's not unusual for football and rugby clubs to include an ampersand in their title so why not here? I'd even settle for it being called "Hertford & Ware RFC" rather than "Ware & Hertford". Just a thought.
mb1

Post by mb1 »

At least in the old days the club was largely made up of Richard Hale old boys, many of home were from Ware. There was therefore a link to Ware. Now there isn't any link at all that I can make out. It doesn't bother me that Hertford Rugby Club play in Ware, I had any liking for the game battered out of me at Hale long ago, but it does seem a little strange.
Steve

Post by Steve »

Maybe just move the boundary with Hertford 500 yards east. Problem solved. :D
Andy B

Post by Andy B »

Its been awhile since this topic has raised its head and its always the same old moan! There is not a Ware rugby club, Hertford RFC are the local county club to Ware, Hertford RFC were formed in 1932 so have been around for a while. Take some time and read the information about the club below especially the section about Youth and Mini rugby, there are also women's teams. The club is much more than 15 or so guys who turn out on a Saturday and if you want proof of that go up there and take a look on a Sunday morning if you can find somewhere to park.
Unlike Soccer/football there is not the same attitude to rivalry and when attending a rugby match at any level the supports are not segregated but mixed which makes the experience, for me, far better. I was at Twickenham for the final which Hertford won but on that day there were five finals of different levels so a mix of supporters from ten different clubs, the rivalry was fierce and loud but at no time was there confrontation or fear of the opposition. I now live in a country where rugby is king but they also have soccer and a national side but where ever I have been in the world a discussion on rugby has always been available without confrontation.

HERTFORD IN THE PRESENT TIME

Since the advent of professionalism in rugby football, many clubs seem uncertain as to what can be realistically achieved and in what direction their ambitions lie. No such uncertainty exists at Hertford.

We are committed to achieve a level of management and professional coaching necessary to sustain our position as the largest Rugby Club in Hertfordshire, and to offer comprehensive facilities to junior and senior players alike.

Just a few years ago Hertford Rugby Football Club aspired to play amateur rugby in London League 1, an essential ambition if we were to provide a high level of competitive rugby and retain the best of our progressing young players. We achieved that ambition in 2001 / 2002. In 2002 / 2003 - our first season in London 1, Hertford RFC came 3rd in the League and also won the prestigious Powergen Intermediate Cup at Twickenham. In 2004 we gained promotion to National league 3 South by beating Cinderford in the playoffs.

The Director of Rugby oversees 7 senior sides, which include the first team squad, the development squad colts and three social sides including veterans. The First XV coach is a professional appointment and together with the First XV manager regard the National Leagues and Herts County Cup Competitions as of paramount importance to the success of the season. They are coached to play open entertaining rugby supervised by a travelling physiotherapist.

The Second XV compete in the Canterbury Shield and the Lambs Cup and the Third, Forth, Fifth and 6th teams compete in Hertfordshire Leagues.

The Development Squad including Colts is coached and managed with particular emphasis on the progression of young players to the First team squad. The club coach is a professional appointment who co-ordinates the coaching of all senior and junior sides.

Hertford Rugby Football Club first team players are never far from the threshold of County rugby. Thirty players from Hertford have represented Hertfordshire totalling nearly 250 caps.

Hertford Colts (under 19's) are of particular significance to our club. The colts compete in the National Colts Cup, Hertfordshire Colts County Cup and Hertfordshire Colts seven-a-side. The policy of Hertford Rugby Football Club to include the Colts in our development squad underlines our objective that former Colts should be well represented in our First XV.

All new players at every level are warmly welcomed. Training commences in July each year on Tuesday and Thursday evenings

HERTFORD YOUTH AND MINI RUGBY

The Club Youth and Mini sections run a total of eleven very enthusiastic and successful squads. On Sundays, the pitches at Hoe Lane field teams from the Youth Section - Under 13's to Under 17's and Mini Section - Under 7's to Under 12's. So on what is most peoples day of rest you will find up to 400 youngsters and many, many mums, dads, brothers and sisters purposely involved on the pitches of Hoe Lane and elsewhere. All age groups have qualified RFU coaches and many senior club players also lend a hand with coaching the youngsters. Please CLICK HERE for details of the Hertford RFC Child Protection Policy.

Both junior sections are very successful . A full fixture list of league matches and friendlies are provided throughout the season The teams also compete in rugby festivals around the country, the Mini section holding it's own Floodlit Festival, County Cup competitions and tours in the UK and abroad too. We promote a high profile on safety with match fixtures and events at Hoe Lane being covered by professional first aiders.

Our over-riding principle is that rugby is a game for fun and to make friends; it is not so much the winning or the losing that is important but the PLAYING, This is especially so with young people who should be encouraged to enjoy themselves, to win with modesty and lose with dignity, so that after the game the fun continues and friendships are created. All the family are welcome and invited to take part.

We pride ourselves in having a Club where everyone is welcome, young and old, male and female and social events throughout the year reflect this. In its early years the club developed a reputation for hospitality and this has continued right up to the present and clubs from all over the United Kingdom and the world have visited Hoe Lane to play and sample the tremendous welcome and entertainment always meted out to visitors.

That is just a brief insight into what we were and what we are. But don't take our word for it
Come and see for yourself !!
Blueboy

Post by Blueboy »

Oh, this isn't fair. I really don't want to get going on this again but there are at least a couple of flaws in your argument Andy that the pedant in me can't let go by.

1. Referring to it as being "the same old moan" is meant to diminish the argument but one might equally say it adds power to it, that it can't be dismissed or made to go away.

2. Crowd segregation. I've followed non-league football for close on 50 years and there has never been segregation at grounds. 1,000 people for a Ware vs Hertford game and all mixed together. Tarring football in general and non-league in particular with the image perpetrated by a minority of supporters(?) a couple of decades ago is a bit disingenuous.

I'm sure the rugby club do a good job and, even after my experience at Hertford Grammar and the fact that I personally didn't enjoy playing the game and still find the rules amazingly complicated to follow when I watch a televised match, I wish them well. It's just that I would be more committed to them and follow their progress more closely if I felt they actually represented me.