Saracens Head.

Your thoughts on what's to see and do
Bikerbiker

Saracens Head.

Post by Bikerbiker »

I see that the Saracens Head public house has been closed for a refurb.
I hear that the old "cellar bar", that was closed some 30 odd years ago, is due to be opened up again, possibly for bands/jazz etc.
Can anyone remember why Mc Mullens closed this part of the pub many years ago?
IGS

Re: Saracens Head.

Post by IGS »

Bikerbiker wrote:I see that the Saracens Head public house has been closed for a refurb.
I hear that the old "cellar bar", that was closed some 30 odd years ago, is due to be opened up again, possibly for bands/jazz etc.
Can anyone remember why Mc Mullens closed this part of the pub many years ago?
I heard that it was prone to flooding.
Warewolf

Post by Warewolf »

Reopens tomorrow, Friday 20th I'm told. It certainly looks a lot better.
Lets Talk

Post by Lets Talk »

open yesterday evening lots of people in there looks very different
Warewolf

Post by Warewolf »

Lets Talk wrote:open yesterday evening lots of people in there looks very different
I think that was a 'tester' evening.
Bikerbiker

Post by Bikerbiker »

Yes opens tomorrow, cellar bar re-opens after a refit, it has been closed since the 70s.
It will be a "Gin bar", offering 20 different types of Gin, as well as the beers and spirits on sale, could be live music, Jazz? (Gin and Jazz bar) on certain days.
2 large pizza ovens have been installed offering freshly baked made to order pizzas as well other foods. :D
VicarageRoader

Post by VicarageRoader »

Bikerbiker wrote:Yes opens tomorrow, cellar bar re-opens after a refit, it has been closed since the 70s.
It will be a "Gin bar", offering 20 different types of Gin, as well as the beers and spirits on sale, could be live music, Jazz? (Gin and Jazz bar) on certain days.
2 large pizza ovens have been installed offering freshly baked made to order pizzas as well other foods. :D
A gin bar?

Sounds like they're trying to bring a piece of Hoxton to Hertfordshire. When I saw the new sign (based on Scrabble Letters) it had me thinking it would be packed with board games like the trendy craft beer bars in Shoreditch etc.Sadly, I don't think Ware has quite a high enough percentage of hipsters to make a place like that work.
Warewolf

Post by Warewolf »

Well I'll be more positive and wish them all the best for trying something different, after all the recent closures it would seem the need for the more traditional pubs is diminishing.
VicarageRoader

Post by VicarageRoader »

Fwiw, I've just been in the re-vamped Saracens and imo its much better then it was before.

Unfortunately, there doesn't appear to be any real ale but on the upside they have the beers on keg from The Camden Brewery including the excellent Black Ink Stout.

It wasn't cheap (£4.60 per pint) but thats the most expensive draught beer in there.

Menu looks interesting although we weren't in there to eat.

No sign of any board games either :D
mb1

Post by mb1 »

I like their new Scrabble sign up on the wall there.