ASDA work started

News and views on shopping in the town.
mb1

Re: ASDA work started

Post by mb1 »

Having suffered an appalling experience in Princess Alexandra A&E last week (in which the doctor said he thought our son may have internal bleeding and we should go back to our GP to get a referral to have it dealt with (we didn't believe this was the case or wouldn't have left the hospital)) using maggots in the ASDA pet aisle as a cure seems like a positive option.
trev

Post by trev »

The entrance/exit on Watton Road is a T junction with no traffic lights currently planned. The original plan was for a roundabout, which would have been much more practical but it was Highways who insisted that it be changed to a T junction - a dubious decision at best! This will, as suggested, make it very difficult to turn right out of ASDA, encouraging town bound traffic to turn left and then cut through Fanshawe Crescent and Park Road. Both ASDA and the Residents' Committee tried to persuade them to reverse this decision to no avail. Instead, we have managed to persuade ASDA to provide traffic calming in Fanshawe Crescent which will at least slow down the massive increase in traffic along this route.

It was also Highways who refused to accept that there would be any significant effect on traffic once ASDA is open, despite the projected customer volume being 30,000 per week. Maybe they expect customers to walk to ASDA!
Riverside

Post by Riverside »

Ridiculous queues yesterday and pretty bad today thanks to large lorries delivering material and
machinery to site right in the middle of rush hour.
Still it will be fine when the traffic lights are installed at the A10 roundabout.......
The Masked Woler

Post by The Masked Woler »

trev wrote:It was also Highways who refused to accept that there would be any significant effect on traffic once ASDA is open, despite the projected customer volume being 30,000 per week. Maybe they expect customers to walk to ASDA!
Many will live in the houses/flats being allowed in the town centre - none of these will have cars because they can walk to the station and shops, or get a bus.
RCR1

Post by RCR1 »

Walking to ASDA & back is possible for most people who live a short distance away, but walking to ASDA, doing the shopping and walking back carrying it is the problem. Just not possible for most unless they go every few days which again isn't an option for many who have families & work. Hence I think proximity doesn't make a huge difference to the traffic.
I my view the only thing that will stop a large number of extra cars appearing when ASDA opens will be when its so crowded with cars that even more people will go for online deliveries. If there are queues of cars, the drivers surely will realise that the fuel cost is greater than the 29p/week (my current voucher from Tesco is half the usual £30pa midweek..perhaps they have after all seen my postcode is near Asda as I mentioned previously)
Personally I cant wait for ASDA to open. I dont especially want to go there. I just want to see if its doomsday in Watton Rd or little changed and then to see the level it settles down to after the initial rush.
Alec

Post by Alec »

RCR1 wrote: I just want to see if its doomsday in Watton Rd or little changed and then to see the level it settles down to after the initial rush.
Completely agree!
Lets Talk

Post by Lets Talk »

will find out on May the 11th opening day !!!
mb1

Post by mb1 »

Trev, myunderstanding was the exact opposite - ie that Highways recommended refusing the project because the road will be unable to handle the planned volume of traffic and negative effect it will have on the surrounding roads.
Damo5

Post by Damo5 »

ASDA's contractors are busy reshaping Watton to road to facilitate the entrance to the store.

As part of the work they are creating a new pavement, set back from where edge of the old one was, to make the road wider round their entrance and better for cars.

However at the Rose and Crown end there is a section where the new pavememnt currently appears to be about wide enough for one person, and not one laden with many shopping bags from ASDA either. :roll: