Feb 23rd, 8.35pm, Fireworks

Clubs and societies, neighbourhood and social issues
VicarageRoader

Feb 23rd, 8.35pm, Fireworks

Post by VicarageRoader »

Who on earth is letting off fireworks tonight?

Will there never be an end to this social menace?
Simes

Re: Feb 23rd, 8.35pm, Fireworks

Post by Simes »

Presumably Chinese New Year celebrations...
FurtiveBertie

Post by FurtiveBertie »

All perfectly legal:

https://www.gov.uk/fireworks-the-law

You must not set off fireworks between 11pm and 7am. The exceptions are:

Bonfire Night, when the cut off is midnight
New Year’s Eve, Diwali and Chinese New Year, when the cut off is 1am

FB 8-)
Lets Talk

Post by Lets Talk »

Interesting I was always brought up on the view that you should not let off fireworks have loud music etc past 9 p.m. just as courtesy to neighbours and most people kept to that.
Can see why people let them off later as the law permits to do so.
FurtiveBertie

Post by FurtiveBertie »

I agree with the courtesy argument for 9:00pm.

The problem, I guess, arises when community (and common courtesy) gets lost, when people don't know or talk to their neighbours.

Now that it's got to the point where common courtesy is rare, and legislation is an inevitable substitute, you need an absolute cut-off point well past 9pm, which does not punish the courteously intentioned neighbour, who over-runs by 10 minutes or so.

The law then legitimises the lateness, and before long it becomes the norm.

FB 8-)
KateG28

Post by KateG28 »

If we go by the common courtesy rule of 9pm then this didn't break that either as it was before 9pm...

Fireworks do not bother me in the slightest but I do not have any pets
Lets Talk

Post by Lets Talk »

Pets can be an issue our dog does not mind fireworks, I guess it comes down to courtesy again if people let their neighbours know they are going have fireworks people can make sure pets are in doors.
Lots of people enjoy a firework display and not just on Nov 5th as long as its done carefully and within the law so not sure everone thinks its a social menace but hey we are all different.
mb1

Post by mb1 »

This is becoming more of an issue as fireworks use becomes more prevalent. It used to be one weekend around November 5th. Now the fireworks start halfway through October and carry on for a month. And they are used at other times of year, like the morons who fired them off near us with no warning at all on New Year's Eve, woke the kids, upset the dog etc. Bloody irritating.
KateG28

Post by KateG28 »

Personally I think Fireworks on New Year's eve are a given, second only to 5th November.

There are loads of private displays near me and I just go along with it and watch the free show.
@lordcoryofware

Post by @lordcoryofware »

First of all I would like to point out that I am not a fan of fireworks, ever since one was thrown at an open top bus I was traveling on in Dublin a few years ago. Not only did it ruin fireworks for me... I've not been on an open top bus since!

However, if a group of people want to let fireworks off sensibly in their own garden within the time restrictions to celebrate a birthday, wedding, bar mitzvah etc I don't see a problem with that one bit. How many other times have you heard fireworks at this time of year? And most private firework displays in my experience don't really go on for that long. I say enjoy the show.