Sainsbury's Local

News and views on shopping in the town.
The Masked Woler

Re: Sainsbury's Local

Post by The Masked Woler »

craig wrote:
Aardvaark wrote:There seems to be a strong rumour...
Let's end the rumour right now.
I've just contacted the regional property acquisitions team at J Sainsbury Plc.

"I really do wonder where or who starts these things.
Sainsbury is legally committed to this project and we are just waiting for the developer to hand the site over to us which should be around early July which is turn will see us open mid August.
Until we are handed the site we cannot commence our own fit out works."

Now, stop it. It'll be in the Mercury as fact if you carry this on.
Spoilsport, where would we be if, when there are rumours, you just ask those who know? Have you asked the man down the pub?
(in fairness I did the same thing over the past Poundland rumours - I asked them, they said no)
Cod

Post by Cod »

Mancunian wrote:so what affect does it have on Ware if the old sign is covered up? i don't understand that!
The Co-op sign, along with the old BR sign just along the road, have been in Ware longer than I have. They give the town character and a sence of history which I cherish and if they are removed then a little bit of history goes with them. This may be of no interest to some, and probably such people would be perfectly happy living in Stevenage or Milton Keynes where there is less control on these issues but I love the environment that these things collectively create and I feel that a sparkling new Sainsburys sign, no matter how well done, will not make up for its loss.
Ian

Post by Ian »

craig wrote:Let's end the rumour right now.
I've just contacted the regional property acquisitions team at J Sainsbury Plc.

"I really do wonder where or who starts these things.
Sainsbury is legally committed to this project and we are just waiting for the developer to hand the site over to us which should be around early July which is turn will see us open mid August.
Until we are handed the site we cannot commence our own fit out works."

Now, stop it. It'll be in the Mercury as fact if you carry this on.
Well, bearing in mind the building is up for sale it's hardly surprising that people have reacted this way - do Sainsburys assume nobody notices these things? If you read the for sale notice carefully it becomes apparent that Sainsburys are intending to lease the building but it's far from obvious!
Mancunian

Post by Mancunian »

Where is the hassle? They applied for permission for a store (including a sign which covers the old one) which was granted with no difficulty, the store is nearly built.

Are you seriously suggesting Sainsbury base marketing decisions on what a few say on a forum most don't even know exists?

(ps just being sat there is what signs do - what else were you expecting)

I think you will find my comment was a bit tongue and cheek :shock: no i don't think they would make decisions because of a sign, I used to work for Sainsbury's at their HQ in London so know a bit on how they work.....

Cod, i can see in some ways what you are saying but would think that to actual buldings or something more substantial than signs of buildings, i knew it was there but was shocked to find out it was listed when it was brought up on here... glad that they are actually going ahead...
craig

Post by craig »

Well, bearing in mind the building is up for sale it's hardly surprising that people have reacted this way - do Sainsburys assume nobody notices these things?
What things?
No matter how you care to interprete the situation, we've had a response - Sainsbury's will be fitting out the shop in July when developers hand it over. Debating the 'rumour' further is just adding fuel to the fire.
I expect Sainsburys will lease the building to themselves so that they can claim some tax back or something. Oh - there I go - another rumour of tax avoidance started.
This how conspiracy theories start isn't it?

(I don't work for Sainsbury, the tax office or Fortean times)
Aardvaark

Post by Aardvaark »

Thank you for getting the clarification Craig. I'm glad we are still going to have Sainsbury's in town. The original rumour was passed on to my husband by another retailer in town. He should have known better - but at least now we can challenge him if he says it again!
mb1

Post by mb1 »

I'm looking forward to it, it'll help drive traffic to tge High St, unlike ASDA the Ware-killer.
Alec

Post by Alec »

mb1 wrote:I'm looking forward to it, it'll help drive traffic to tge High St, unlike ASDA the Ware-killer.
Ware still looks alive and well to me.

And I've not yet seen the Watton Road curl up and die under the traffic, either.
Aardvaark

Post by Aardvaark »

My husband has just gone past and says it' s now open. They've certainly been busy there the last few days - but they did this a bit quietly didn't they?
pierced_rose

Post by pierced_rose »

Aardvaark wrote:My husband has just gone past and says it' s now open. They've certainly been busy there the last few days - but they did this a bit quietly didn't they?

Yes just a bit quietly! I looked and couldn't find anything about its opening at all on the Sainsburys website. All a bit odd!

I looked today and it's now listed... But seems to say it's got a Petrol Station! I'd like to know where they have squeezed that in!

Anyway... Went down there earlier this afternoon. Bigger than expected and has all the usual stuff. Open until 11pm too which is convenient and a small car park down the side!

One thing that could become a problem are the delivery lorries blocking the road right outside, causing traffic to back up round the roundabout.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (134.44 KiB) Viewed 14137 times