Remember to Vote on Thursday 7th May 2015...

Clubs and societies, neighbourhood and social issues
The Masked Woler

Re: Remember to Vote on Thursday 7th May 2015...

Post by The Masked Woler »

Very few winners (or Govts) are the choice of the majority - Prisk is unusual there in that he gets over 50%
IGS

Post by IGS »

The Masked Woler wrote:Very few winners (or Govts) are the choice of the majority - Prisk is unusual there in that he gets over 50%
He got over 50% of votes but less than 50% of the electorate voted for him. The 30% who didn't bother going to their polling station could have made a big difference,
Pat-H

Post by Pat-H »

Those that don't vote ( who don't bother to walk to their local polling station) are dismissed by the system as non existent. They have no views, opinions or considerations.
Steve

Post by Steve »

I have voted in every national and local election since I was 18, with the exception of the PCC election. For the first time in my life I am considering not voting, for the simple reason that none of them are worth it. I fully appreciate that defending our right to vote has been at the expense of millions of lives, but it is the quality of our political classes that sadly lets them down. Unfortunately, the [mostly partisan] press are little better, playing along with a climate that regards the public as little more than gullible vote fodder.

This satirical graphic sums it up. Politicians seem to seriously believe that they can get away with this level of engagement. How can we have confidence in candidates that operate like dodgy salesmen.
10981606_943418292355269_3471312032149604158_n.png
10981606_943418292355269_3471312032149604158_n.png (150.79 KiB) Viewed 8495 times
And don't get me started on negative campaigning!
JCB

Post by JCB »

Those that do not bother to go to the small effort of attending the polling station forfeit their right to any views, opinions or considerations. If they have mobility issues a postal vote can be arranged. There is no excuse for not voting.
Whereaami

Post by Whereaami »

JCB wrote:Those that do not bother to go to the small effort of attending the polling station forfeit their right to any views, opinions or considerations. If they have mobility issues a postal vote can be arranged. There is no excuse for not voting.
The local party supporters will also arrange transport to the polling station if asked.
Last edited by Whereaami on Tue 05 May 2015 9:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
FurtiveBertie

Post by FurtiveBertie »

If they have mobility issues a postal vote can be arranged.
I believe anyone can request a postal vote. I have one.

FB 8-)
Mancunian

Post by Mancunian »

JCB wrote:Those that do not bother to go to the small effort of attending the polling station forfeit their right to any views, opinions or considerations. If they have mobility issues a postal vote can be arranged. There is no excuse for not voting.
in response to a question Ian said earlier and to this, i do not have any interest in politics, local politics or anything else relating to it what so ever ! never have and never will, i don't know who is running locally as i don't look it up, for the first time i also haven't received any fliers in the post from any of the parties so great advertising there... i get the 05.20 am train to work in mornings and get back late and all i wish to do is see my wife and kids not troll to a polling station to vote for someone i don't know or have any interest in. As said previously they are all the same and say the same as Steve's little note made me laugh, my vote would never change the fact this area will be Tory again as it's always been, this is the reason i am not voting
Ian

Post by Ian »

Thanks for the comments Mancunian and Steve, very brave considering the responses from others here!

Whilst I understand that many feel voting is important, I also strongly believe that people have the right *not* to vote if they so choose. Do we really want to have mandatory voting in the UK? At the moment, whether it's better to spoil a ballot paper or simply not turn up is an academic argument, the reality is that it makes no difference to the outcome and generates little meaningful discussion.

The point about a postal vote is well made and is worth remembering next time perhaps that those, like Mancunian, who find it hard to get to the polling station can register for a postal vote as it's open to everyone.

I'm still not terribly clear as to what would encourage you (or anyone else) to vote - would you turn out if it was a closer battle in this constituency? It's clear this is a major problem and the vast majority of constituencies in the UK are already decided and are safe seats. Maybe after two coalitions/hung parliaments the appetite for proportional representation will increase? Would that make a difference?
IGS

Post by IGS »

There is also a proxy vote (yes very funny) where you can get someone to vote on your behalf, all those who aren't going to vote can let me have theirs. I'm sure that it would make a difference to Ware. :twisted: