Remember to Vote on Thursday 7th May 2015...

Clubs and societies, neighbourhood and social issues
The Masked Woler

Re: Remember to Vote on Thursday 7th May 2015...

Post by The Masked Woler »

Of course people have the right not to vote if they wish.

On the local level Ware has not always been Tory and a relatively few votes could have a major effect.

On a Parliamentary level I find the nothing changes because the Torys get in argument odd - Prisk gets in because more people vote for him - isn't that how it's supposed to work?

To have no interest in the planners who are going to have a major impact on your (and your family's) lives also seems odd to me but each to his own.
Steve

Post by Steve »

JCB wrote:Those that do not bother to go to the small effort of attending the polling station forfeit their right to any views, opinions or considerations. If they have mobility issues a postal vote can be arranged. There is no excuse for not voting.
Can you suggest who I should cast my parliamentary vote for if I don't have any confidence in the candidates, or I feel unable to endorse the package of policies on offer by any of the parties? Or are you suggesting I spoil my paper?

I'm happy to visit the polling station, as I have proven in over 39 years of voting, but if there's no-one [I'm prepared] to support, what's the alternative?

However, whilst undecided on a national level, I will definitely be voting in the local election.
Pat-H

Post by Pat-H »

The reason people feel disempowered is we know from experience that the policy promises and spin have no relation to what will be done in the next 5 years.
Each party has their fundamental aims but has to campaign on media bite sized nuggets and votes whims and wishes.

We've already seen countless times policies broken or so mangled in delivery as to be worst than not done at all.

At a national level it's really more about which route to follow. Left (not that it's very left) or right (and with a UKIP DUP coalition this is going to be very right)
Its as simple as that. You may as well ignore what any of them promise. Its worthless. They just lie and are never held to account.
AT the local level I have said before that I'm shocked and surprised to see Lib dem candidates still choosing to stand under the rather tarnished national flag. All would, I'm sure, gain more respect and votes as independents. I just hope they aren't too tarnished by the national lib dem reputation as most are great local councillors who passionately believe in the town.
Blueboy

Post by Blueboy »

Pat-H wrote:At a national level it's really more about which route to follow. Left (not that it's very left) or right (and with a UKIP DUP coalition this is going to be very right)
Its as simple as that. You may as well ignore what any of them promise.
I must say that I have my personal philosophy of life and the way I would like to see society to go; and based on that I know with complete clarity which party will and which ones will not take us in that direction. The parties however choose to toss little snippets of policy in our direction the nearer we get to polling day, tax cuts here, less control there, anything to compete with the latest policy snippet put out by the competition. I'm just not interested in these trinkets, they are irrelevant to the greater scheme of things and somewhat insulting. My vote cannot be bought that easily.
mb1

Post by mb1 »

while I accept that as someone who is very interested in the minutiae of politics I'm unusual I never understand people who say politics is nothing to do with them and they won't vote.

Do you not have a view on the functioning of the town's railway? Or the disastrous situation of Harlow Hospital and the not much better situation of the other trust that services us? Are you happy with the state of the roads? And the schools?

All of these very local questions are profoundly affected by how people vote at a national level.

the Tories have won around here for Westminster since they gerrymandered the seat into existence in the early 1980s, but as others have said on this thread, our MP gets about 30% of the electorate voting for him, because of turn out. If people turned up to vote for something else, his position would be much less safe. it's in our hands.
The Masked Woler

mb1 wrote:............ the disastrous situation of Harlow Hospital and the not much better situation of the other trust that services us?
Do Labour supporters ever think about the demoralising effect their constant criticism has on the staff and which can also result in them getting abuse from patients?

Or the being used as a political football?
JCB

Post by JCB »

I think some points here are being very well made, unfortunately they are also being tainted by the unnecessary bile and vitriol being spewed out at the same time
The Masked Woler

Pat-H wrote:.............. All would, I'm sure, gain more respect and votes as independents. I just hope they aren't too tarnished by the national lib dem reputation as most are great local councillors who passionately believe in the town.
Has an independent ever been elected in Ware - I can't recall one.

You refer to "they" and "most" but we only have one - John Wing.
Ian

Post by Ian »

The Masked Woler wrote:
mb1 wrote:............ the disastrous situation of Harlow Hospital and the not much better situation of the other trust that services us?
Do Labour supporters ever think about the demoralising effect their constant criticism has on the staff and which can also result in them getting abuse from patients?

Or the being used as a political football?
Edited to fix missing end quote

I'd be very surprised if abuse of hospital staff can be laid at Labour's door, or even the Conservative's door. Abuse is simply unacceptable at any time and such behaviour and is not related to political party.

More to the point, previous governments of both flavours have been obsessed with privatising parts of the services and setting up the trusts which has resulted in constant change every year; this is more likely to be at the root of the problems and demoralization I'd suggest We've seen the same in schooling, where change every year leads to high levels of stress and a reduction in effectiveness. Giving things a decent time to settle down by every party would be a welcome change in my view.
Blueboy

Post by Blueboy »

The Masked Woler wrote:Has an independent ever been elected in Ware - I can't recall one.
You're obviously not old enough ;) . In my childhood in Ware there were plenty of independent local councillors. When I asked my parents about this they said they were really Conservatives but didn't say so.