Swans

Contributions, adding your business or organisation to Ware Online, suggestions and general feedback about Ware Online.
Peapod250

Swans

Post by Peapod250 »

I was told this morning that the few swans we have left on the river were found dead in the back of a van! Don't know if it's true, has anybody heard about this? Apparantely they were for eating if this is true it is appalling. The swans belong to the queen and are a beautiful sight on the river, if it is true, there needs to be some education regarding our wildlife ,it's there for us all to enjoy and we do not want people killing it all off. I know at one time you could count a hundred on the river before the poachers started.
The Masked Woler

Re: Swans

Post by The Masked Woler »

The decline in numbers is not thought to be due to poaching.

http://www.waresociety.org.uk/mute-swans/
Aardvaark

Post by Aardvaark »

Sounds like an apocryphal tale along the lines of stories in the Daily Express that everything can be blamed on immigrants! Thanks for the link to the Ware Society research. It isn't that many years ago that we were all commenting on the large increase in the number swans on the river (I seem to remember that stories at the time linked this to the immigrants further down the river trapping and eating them). In the last couple of years most swans have moved on, except for the usual few. I certainly saw 3 on the New River as I came home this evening.
Steve

Post by Steve »

Peapod250 wrote:The swans belong to the queen ...
This is something of a myth, with it's roots in fact. Technically, the monarch owns all unmarked swans that live on The River Thames.
Andy B

Post by Andy B »

I recall walking my dog along the river from Amwell End and counting over 100 swans which was quite a sight but for whatever reason they declined quite rapidly. Some years I saw two eastern european guys further along the river it was the Hertford side of the A10 and one was trying to conceal a shotgun and the other had what looked like a Canadian goose under his coat, I did speak to a police officer about it but due to the time that had passed there was nothing they could do.
kevin phillips bong

Post by kevin phillips bong »

That's an excellent article by The Ware Society - spot on. (I'd forgot about the swan patrol lady).

My observations of 10 years cycling along the Lea..... When a breeding pair are about they are very, very aggressive and I've seen swans being chased/fought by the dominant male to almost death; not a pretty sight.
This year the cold spring hasn't helped nesting (remember the female will sit for about 6 weeks) so the few cygnets I've seen are low in numbers. However, much as it pains me to say, prosecutions to Eastern European's for snatching have occurred.
mb1

Post by mb1 »

There were about 20 swans down near Ware lock in the past month, but haven't seen many since.

On ownership y Her Maj:

"Technically, the Crown owns all unmarked mute swans in open water, and the Queen only exercises her ownership rights on some stretches of the Thames and its tributaries. Other varieties of swan (Bewick's, Whooper etc.) aren't included in this.
Swan - The Guardian
http://www.theguardian.com/notesandquer ... 73,00.html"
Aardvaark

Post by Aardvaark »

kevin phillips bong wrote: However, much as it pains me to say, prosecutions to Eastern European's for snatching have occurred.
Please don't think I'm doubting your word but can you tell me the source of this information? I've done a search and can only find some proven unfounded allegations printed by the Sun/Mirror/Daily Express/Daily Mail in the past 2 years and also some very recent propaganda from the so-called British Democratic Party.
FurtiveBertie

Post by FurtiveBertie »

I was told this morning that the few swans we have left on the river were found dead in the back of a van!
Don't know if it's true
if this is true
if it is true
I call "Troll".
First time poster, just joined to cause anti immigrant feelings. :evil: :(

FB
8-)
kevin phillips bong

Post by kevin phillips bong »

Yee gods lefties out again - I don't read any papers 'cause they all have their own opinions which is fine 'cause we live in a democracy ware people are entitled to a point of view unlike 'wonderful communism'. (I am an ethnic minority by the way).

My source about the swan prosecutions come from river wardens who patrol the Lea from Enfield to hertford.