Latest lunacy affecting Trapstyle Road residents

Your views on traffic and parking in the town
John_D

Latest lunacy affecting Trapstyle Road residents

Post by John_D »

Just seen the notices in Harris Lane/Priory Street:- 'GSK Works, this road will be closed for 12 weeks from 27-7-2015'
What the hell can they be doing that takes 3 months? :evil:
With the school holidays the impact will not be too severe for the first six weeks but will be a nightmare after that.
The lower end of Park road, between Asda and Harris lane really needs to have double yellow lines the whole length, on the Glaxo side, to make the road fit for two way traffic again. The majority of the parking along there would appear to be GSK contractors anyway.
Old Biddy

Re: Latest lunacy affecting Trapstyle Road residents

Post by Old Biddy »

Disruption will hopefully not be as bad as you fear as only closed for 7 days between July and October. Further information can be found here[url]http://www.public-notices.co.uk/attachm ... 35.pdf[url]
mb1

Post by mb1 »

I couldn't disagree more about preventing park and keeping Park Road clear. That would be an invitation to speeding cars up and down a road where around 1300 school children walk to and fro school every day. If anything more robust traffic calming measures are necessary to stop speeding cars on Park Rd and make the road safer.
Whereaami

Post by Whereaami »

One of the traffic calming measures promised when Asda was built was the pedestrian crossing at the end of Park Road, which still has the traffic lights sitting there switched off. As this is the ideal place for the school kids to cross to the same side if the road as the schools are, they should have been working when the store opened. Beginning to think they will be forgotten about.
FurtiveBertie

Post by FurtiveBertie »

this is the ideal place for the school kids to cross
Have you ever known a school kid to do what they are supposed to.

I never used the places I was supposed to cross when I was at school, as it required walking an extra 10 yards. Today's school kids (based on a sample of FB Junior) are no different.

The crossing is a welcome addition, and no doubt some will use it, but you also you need to address the fact that many children cycle / scooter to school and will either be on the roads, or cross wherever they care to, and usually quickly and unpredictably :( .

Slow traffic is a great improvement, and if this is achieved by parked cars, then I personally have no complaints, apart from traffic calming being more desirable.

FB
8-)
Whereaami

Post by Whereaami »

yes, kid's are unpredictable, but having a crossing which isnt switched on yet is ridiculous....
The Masked Woler

Post by The Masked Woler »

They could have crossed with the lollypop lady - if only people had stopped running her over.
John_D

Post by John_D »

Fairly easy to see from the comments who actually lives in Trapstyle Road and has to get access via Park Road :evil:
mb1

Post by mb1 »

There's a difference between getting access and a desire for a completely clear road to drive fast down. Park Road needs traffic calming measures that will severely slow down traffic, especially that coming fast down from Trapstyle and approaching Chauncy/Fanshawe Pool at speed. People drive far too fast. the last thing that is need is a clear, straight road to encourage that.
John_D

Post by John_D »

mb1 wrote:There's a difference between getting access and a desire for a completely clear road to drive fast down. Park Road needs traffic calming measures that will severely slow down traffic, especially that coming fast down from Trapstyle and approaching Chauncy/Fanshawe Pool at speed. People drive far too fast. the last thing that is need is a clear, straight road to encourage that.
I have no problems with driving down Park Road slowly, but do have problems with it taking sometimes more than 10 mins from Trapstyle Road to Watton Road.
For the last few months, to get to Bengeo in less than 20 mins in the morning, I have been having to go down Harris Lane, into Priory Street, then left into Baldock Street, then up past Wodson Park, follow the old A10 then left into Anchor Lane, across the A602 and finally to Bengeo. This puts several miles on the journey but has proved, consistently, considerably quicker and less frustrating than either continuing down Park Road or using Fanshaw Crescent to get to Watton Road and using that route. I am not alone in using this route, I see several people each morning doing the same. Not looking forward to any closure of Harris Lane :evil: