Virgin media email sign-in

A forum for advice about local trades, regulations and services in Ware.
Pat-H

Re: Virgin media email sign-in

Post by Pat-H »

Using a ISPs email isn't ideal for a number of reasons but the likes of GMAIL, Yahoo, Hotmail etc are just as bad. They are easy targets for hackers and vulnerable.
They also look poor from a business perspective.
Obtaining a domain name is very cheap £5 or less per year and then all you need is an email hosting solution. These range from free to £50 or so per year depending what you need.
I use an email hosting solution that give me 5 email accounts (one for each family member) for around £1 per account per month.
My email address isn't determined by my ISP so I can change ISP and not change my email address. My email isn't bombarded with SPAM as it's a unique domain name.
Works all round.
Steve

Post by Steve »

Pat-H wrote:Using a ISPs email isn't ideal for a number of reasons but the likes of GMAIL, Yahoo, Hotmail etc are just as bad. They are easy targets for hackers and vulnerable.
This isn't a problem with webmail, this is a problem with the users. Phishing emails can target any service, although obviously because of their popularity, the services you mention are often targeted.
Pat-H wrote:They also look poor from a business perspective.
Agree 100%. But so does an ISP email address. Services like Gmail allow you to send and receive email via your own server.

Pat-H wrote:My email isn't bombarded with SPAM as it's a unique domain name.
Not quite following you there. How is your domain name unique and how would that prevent you being bombarded with spam? Once the spammers have your address (most likely by a friend's email account being compromised) then you'll see your spam rate increase.
Pat-H

Post by Pat-H »

Of course ultimately you can't avoid SPAM but having an uncommon domain helps avoid the mass spamming of common domains.
Spammers tend to go for the low hanging fruit and will just flood .Hotmail .gmail etc domains.
Steve

Post by Steve »

Pat-H wrote:Spammers tend to go for the low hanging fruit and will just flood .Hotmail .gmail etc domains.
I think you're making an assumption there :-)

http://netforbeginners.about.com/od/sca ... resses.htm
Mel

Post by Mel »

virgin seems back to normal now, just logged on without having to confirm I'm a robot :D
Pat-H

Post by Pat-H »

Steve wrote:
Pat-H wrote:Spammers tend to go for the low hanging fruit and will just flood .Hotmail .gmail etc domains.
I think you're making an assumption there :-)

Not an assumption just decades of first hand experience. I run IT for a number of companies and have seen many many examples of hacked email accounts. By a massive stretch it's the free common domain emails that get compromised.
That has started to change over the last 5 years or so with more Phishing sites tricking users into revealing their emails.