Memories of "The Deep"

Questions and discussions about the town's past
craig

Memories of "The Deep"

Post by craig »

I was lucky enough to visit the refurbished cellar bar in the Saracens Head a few weeks ago and was most impressed with the size of the venue. Apparently, the cellar bar was called The Deep when it was last open to the public - in the early 80's I think.

Does anyone have any memories of the venue operating as the deep?
Was it just a bar or was it a live music venue?
Warewolf

Re: Memories of "The Deep"

Post by Warewolf »

I never knew it as the Deep but definitely a music venue, one of my old bands played down there a few times in the 80's. This was when it was known as a 'bikers' pub.
Redsky

Post by Redsky »

I visited the Deep many times in the 70's. It was mainly Disco type music from recollection. It was always very popular and getting served at the bar was a nightmare.
IGS

Post by IGS »

Warewolf wrote:I never knew it as the Deep but definitely a music venue, one of my old bands played down there a few times in the 80's. This was when it was known as a 'bikers' pub.
I think you may be getting the Saracens Head mixed up with the Brewery Tap.
The saracens was a trendy place to go whilst the Brewery Tap was a bikers pub which had live music in the cellar.
Warewolf

Post by Warewolf »

Oops, IGS, you're right, I should pay more attention especially early in the morning :?
Moulder

Post by Moulder »

Went there a few times during the late 70's - music was provided by a juke box with a 'not bad' selection for the time and getting served at the bar wasn't too bad if you got 'Snowy's' attention quick enough.
Good times ............