Police & Crime Commissioner Election 2016

Comment on policing and law & order issues

Will you be voting in the PCC Election 2016?

Yes
20%
No
67%
Undecided
13%

Total votes: 15

Damo5

Re: Police & Crime Commissioner Election 2016

Post by Damo5 »

The other issue is that I suspect that many of those who do vote, do so purly on 'party' lines
Now if the ballot paper did not list the party of each candidate was representing it would be more interesting and fairer.

Incidently i think the same should apply for most local elections
IGS

Post by IGS »

Exciting, wasn't it. For those who give a s*** the Cons held it.
trev

Post by trev »

I think the whole thing is a farce! The police is a necessary emergency service that is not (or should not) be restricted or directed by politics! The figureheads of each force are just like the CEO of a company - responsible and accountable for running the force in the best way possible. Yes they are hampered by government budgets, limits, rules, etc., but why should they directed by any political party? Public safety should be the same whoever is in government.

Why this election is necessary at all is beyond me!
Pat-H

Post by Pat-H »

Lets not kid ourselves that the police have been non politically controlled for many years now.
Under Thatcher the Police were used as a tool of government policy and once that had been achieved there was no going back.
The police need funds and those funds are Government controlled.
The PCC makes little difference to this it's just a way to create another bureaucratic high paying job. (ok I know to some £85K isn't high paying. But what does this person really do that warrants that sort of salary. What risks do they take? what consequences of making bad choices?)
Ian

Post by Ian »

Well, in the end I was one of the 29% that turned out to vote. I'm assuming that the 71% who didn't vote are happy ith the result.
Steve

Post by Steve »

Ian wrote:Well, in the end I was one of the 29% that turned out to vote. I'm assuming that the 71% who didn't vote are happy ith the result.
Making assumptions is unwise.

There will be those who didn't vote because none of the candidates appealed to them.
There will be those who didn't vote because they disagree with the principle of elected PCCs.
There will be those who didn't vote because the only candidates standing were those put up by political parties.
Mel

Post by Mel »

In the first election for the pcc (or pacman as I call it!) I did go down and spoilt the ballot paper because I didn't agree with the election. Waste of money and an appointment like this as others have said should be a non-political one. However, it looks as though they are here to stay for now so I did vote properly this time. It's the only voice we've got so we should' use it or lose it'.
Pat-H

Post by Pat-H »

Steve wrote:
Ian wrote:Well, in the end I was one of the 29% that turned out to vote. I'm assuming that the 71% who didn't vote are happy ith the result.
Making assumptions is unwise.

There will be those who didn't vote because none of the candidates appealed to them.
There will be those who didn't vote because they disagree with the principle of elected PCCs.
There will be those who didn't vote because the only candidates standing were those put up by political parties.
For all the above reasons a person could still have attended the voting station and spoilt their ballot as such actions are also recorded.

The most likely reason is that it meant getting up off the sofa and missing a trashy soap and its easier to let other people worry about such things.
I like the other 29% made my view known. And really its a 15 minute walk or less. Its not exactly hard work.
VicarageRoader

Post by VicarageRoader »

Pat-H wrote:Lets not kid ourselves that the police have been non politically controlled for many years now.
Under Thatcher the Police were used as a tool of government policy and once that had been achieved there was no going back.
The PCC makes little difference to this it's just a way to create another bureaucratic high paying job. (ok I know to some £85K isn't high paying. But what does this person really do that warrants that sort of salary. What risks do they take? what consequences of making bad choices?)
If people had checked the bios for the candidate, they'd have seen the Labour guy wasn't going to take the salary. He was willing to do the job for what the Government laughingly refer to as the 'Living Wage'. 
Pat-H

Post by Pat-H »

VicarageRoader wrote:
Pat-H wrote:Lets not kid ourselves that the police have been non politically controlled for many years now.
If people had checked the bios for the candidate, they'd have seen the Labour guy wasn't going to take the salary. He was willing to do the job for what the Government laughingly refer to as the 'Living Wage'. 
If I stood I'd take the salary and donate it to the South Maltings to more than cover a full time wage there.