Returning to Ware

News and views on shopping in the town.
Andy B

Returning to Ware

Post by Andy B »

In July this year I'll be back in Ware for two weeks and am wondering what changes I am going to see after six years away?
I know theres a new supermarket and some buildings have been knocked down but what's the biggest change I'm going to see and is Ware better or worse for it?
To give this thread some balance once I have been and gone I'll give my thoughts on the impressions that I'll be left with.

It also seems that nobody meets up for a chat and a beer so maybe one evening we could do that, if anyone is interested that is?
Alec

Re: Returning to Ware

Post by Alec »

*Two* new supermarkets, though I still can't make out if the Sainsburys Local is a success or not.

Pubs are all a bit smarter and more hipster - The Brewery Tap, Wine Lodge and Chavigator are particularly transformed.

A few more closed shops in the high street. An extra estate agent, and one or two more hairdressers.

More potholes...
trev

Post by trev »

The Roebuck hotel has been demolished to make way for yet another care home.

The John Gilpin is also being demolished to make way for housing. Opposite the John Gilpin is the new Premier Inn and Beefeater restaurant.

Most of the old college buildings have gone and been replaced with new ones. Houses/flats are being constructed on some of the college land that was released.

We have Oyster at the station!

I'll think of some more later!
Andrew

Post by Andrew »

Musley Infants School is now a day nursery and has been thoroughly restored. Housing has been built on what was the school field. The Gospel Hall down Collett Road has been replaced with four flats. The Roman Catholic Church is being extended. Tesco has gone through a refurbishment. You're sure to notice the difference. ;)
Andy B

Post by Andy B »

I'm unsure whether to take all of that as good or bad news?
Has Sainsbury gone into the old Co-op dairy building?
They were about to start Asda when we left has that been a success or have all the problems that were envisaged materialised?
I cannot believe they have not got on top of the pot hole issue yet!
There was never any indication of the John Gilpin going!
Musley school is a good result as it is a historical building and was in bad repair with pigeons roosting in it.
I obviously know about the Maltings and fantastic achievement that was.

Our return is to me more interesting than I thought, keep the changes coming please.
craig

Post by craig »

Hi Andy.
Yes - I'll be up for a beer to toast your good health and welcome you on your visit to Ware.
As already mentioned, the pubs in Ware have changed a lot and most now offer live music at least once a week.
Live music in Ware 5 years ago was very hit and miss - now you really are spoilt for choice.

Other changes - New Playground on the Buryfields, new housing estate and sports hall in development next to the pool on Fanshawe Road.
We have a fantastic gallery on Baldock Street, but have lost Kards and Krafts opposite. Rumour has it it'll be turned back to residential.

With Asda, the predicted traffic chaos and gridlock just hasn't happened. Watton Road is wider and traffic flows smoothly down into the town. It's certainly been a benefit to the town imho, and has forced Tesco to raise their game (a touch).

There are traffic problems outside Sainsbury. Despite the planning condition stating that deliveries should take place outside of rush hour, the road is regularly blocked at 8.00 in the morning by delivery trucks. Apparently, traffic enforcement for deliveries is non-enforceable - so the public were possibly hoodwinked by that clause in the application.

The biggest change is that most people have now left the bosom of the Ware Online Forum in favour of that wretched Facebook - Facebook flight as I call it, but the regulars of old are still here I'm pleased to say. :D

Looking forward to seeing you in July.
Last edited by craig on Wed 18 May 2016 9:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: typo.
Spring Viewer

Post by Spring Viewer »

Hi Andy,

The large grey, 60s looking, college block, on the Ware Road, just opposite the train crossing has recently been demolished. It certainly has changed the vista around there. However, I think it's making way for flats, but am sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

Also, my wife noticed another nail/beauty salon maybe opening soon next door to Bridge Carpets! Like there isn't enough of them! :lol:

Plus still loads of charity shops, take-aways, bookies opened up as well.
Sky (AKA Club Nautica, Becketts) still shut for about 3 or 4 years now. Also the large "old fashioned" furniture shop in the middle of the High Street has been closed a couple of years now!
kevin phillips bong

Post by kevin phillips bong »

Ware Swimming Pool (or Lido) is having a makeover (thanks to Glaxo) so will be worth a visit when you visit Andy.

For a social how about.... 3rd Riverside beer festival in Fletchers Lea (yes Flea) on Saturday July 9th open 12 -11 and proudly part of Ware Festival.
Andy B

Post by Andy B »

There seems to be a lot of knocking down going on! I assume the 1960 horror in the High Street was not one of them?
I'm pleased the Lido is being looked after as it not only an asset but has historical value.
The beer festival is right up my street but three weeks too early as I'm not due in Ware till the 1st August.
Fletchers Lea that another building that was controversial is that getting a reasonable amount of use?
Can you have too many nail bars and estate agents? ;)
VicarageRoader

Post by VicarageRoader »

craig wrote: There are traffic problems outside Sainsbury. Despite the planning condition stating that deliveries should take place outside of rush hour, the road is regularly blocked at 8.00 in the morning by delivery trucks. Apparently, traffic enforcement for deliveries is non-enforceable - so the public were possibly hoodwinked by that clause in the application.
I'm sure Andy will be massively shocked by this.