Previous John Gilpin pub

Your views on traffic and parking in the town
Jimob23

Re: Previous John Gilpin pub

Post by Jimob23 »

It's a pity there is no yellow paint available to have double yellow outside Sainsburys , the pizza and fish shop
The traffic is unreal there where it is the case of if there is an accident is in fact when where perhaps something may be done
Whereaami

Post by Whereaami »

Jimob23 wrote:It's a pity there is no yellow paint available to have double yellow outside Sainsburys , the pizza and fish shop
The traffic is unreal there where it is the case of if there is an accident is in fact when where perhaps something may be done
There's plenty of yellow paint about to be earmarked to double yellow line a large part of a residential cul-de-sac off high oak road, if a certain county councilor gets his way.... , so there appears to be a few £ in the highways budget for Ware.
Scottman

Post by Scottman »

I'm surprised the planners haven't claimed this too to be 'a highly sustainable location transport wise' and applied town centre zone parking guidelines to the new site (as its only a few feet outside).

Also watch for the 3 and 4 bed homes suddenly being marketed as 4 or 5 bed homes and priced accordingly, even though no family on this corner of England manages with just one car and a useless garage.

[Lessons from Hertford Regional College Scotts Road site]
ollynbloom

Post by ollynbloom »

Scottman wrote:I'm surprised the planners haven't claimed this too to be 'a highly sustainable location transport wise' and applied town centre zone parking guidelines to the new site (as its only a few feet outside).

Also watch for the 3 and 4 bed homes suddenly being marketed as 4 or 5 bed homes and priced accordingly, even though no family on this corner of England manages with just one car and a useless garage.

[Lessons from Hertford Regional College Scotts Road site]
They tried! Claimed proximity to train station and bus stop. The initial plan claimed that as it was on the boundary of the two zones it was ok to just have the lower parking allowance (the initial 18 or so). They strike me as chancers and I suspect even they're amazed that they could get this through. Unfortunately developers are able to exploit the national planning frameworks that prioritise "green" developments e.g. they are supposed to ENCOURAGE (!) alternative methods of transport by allowing fewer car parking spaces, so they know even if the local authorities overrule it then the national ones will just rubber stamp it. I went to the planning meeting and talked the council through my week and how stupid it was.
e.g.
Saturday: go to harlow hospital with pregnant wife...1 hour by bus, 2 by train, 20 minutes by car.
Sunday: go to visit poorly mum in hospital in essex...not possible by bus, 2.5 hours by train, 30 minutes by car.
etc
and we are a young family that only have one car, and as you say most will have more.

These houses won't even have garages by the way. There is also nowhere to informally leave your car (like other developments where you don't just have to park in spaces but can park anywhere within the development in communal areas), so it will be a complete mess and they'll just spill over into the surrounding...not that there is anywhere to spill over to. We all have to park slightly "interestingly" anyway just to fit in pretty much back to Presdales.