Gas Fire maintenance

A forum for advice about local trades, regulations and services in Ware.
Matt40

Gas Fire maintenance

Post by Matt40 »

Hi,

I posted a thread ages ago but the guy had moved away from memory. I now have a more urgent need to get one gas coal effect fireplace maintained but to get the other one working again (if it ever did). Can anyone recommend someone?

Thanks

Matt
shoegirl

Re: Gas Fire maintenance

Post by shoegirl »

I used a company called Taylor Heating in Stanstead Abbots a couple of years ago - had found it hard to find anyone that would look at gas fires, the safety regulations around gas fires are really strict. Ours had been fitted before we brought the house, we'd never used it but it didn't meet current safety standards so had to be disconnected.
Matt40

Post by Matt40 »

Thanks, that's interesting to know. It sounds to me then I am going to need some new gas fires. Can you buy gas fires that fit into the existing old fashion fire places? I am thinking that might be a dumb question ;) , I know nothing about these things.
shoegirl

Post by shoegirl »

I started to look into having It brought up to code but it meant the whole fireplace coming out and some brickwork done in the cavity behind it, we'd just decorated so decided to leave it in place as a nice feature to look at!! Luckily we're not relying on it for heat.
Mancunian

Post by Mancunian »

Have you tried Morley Stoves on Marsh lane, they used to be on star street but moved, they do fireplaces and maintenance etc and if they don't do gas they might know a local company etc that do...
Scottman

Post by Scottman »

We needed help with an inadequate gas fire and found County Fires at Mimram Road, Hertford (01992 504450) both incredibly helpful and reasonable for supply and fit.

As to servicing - we generally have ours done at the same time as a boiler service - James Turner at Hertford
Matt40

Post by Matt40 »

Thanks for your help. I'm going to try all these options out starting this afternoon, watch this space.
Matt40

Post by Matt40 »

I'm still drawing blanks on this. Morley referred me to Ignite who only do servicing. I tried someone else but they only do servicing this time of year. County fires next I think.
Barzey

Post by Barzey »

In view of you drawing a blank - Why not book yourself a one off appointment with the British Gas? Better still take out the annual service contract, its worth it in the end.
Matt40

Post by Matt40 »

Thanks. I have got the missus onto this now (she pays those bills!) .