British Gas HomeEnergy Capped May 2018

A forum for advice about local trades, regulations and services in Ware.
Steve

British Gas HomeEnergy Capped May 2018

Post by Steve »

I've had a letter from my energy provider offering to fix prices at the current Standard Tariff until May 2018. If the Standard Tariff drops during the period then so will the fixed price energy price. The only catch I can see is the £20 get out clause. Looks like a good deal but I'm always suspicious of something that looks too good. What's in it for BG?

Any thoughts?
Mel

Re: British Gas HomeEnergy Capped May 2018

Post by Mel »

We've been with Scottish Power on a fixed contract for the past few years. Last year after looking around we renewed with them on another contract. Our payments since then have fluctuated between £66.00 and £145.00. Well they wanted £145.00 but we told them we weren't paying such an exorbitant increase. That is in spite of being in credit to the tune of over £100,00! We've just received an email from them advising that our payments are going to be reduced to £39.00 - would that be because the contract is up for renewal at the end of April? ? :shock: We will be looking around for another provider though.
Ian

Post by Ian »

I still find it very confusing around energy prices, especially at the moment when we're in the middle of the season where the energy companies are raising prices. Ultimately, if you've been offered a capped deal before the price goes up it's probably a good deal, but you'd need to compare to some of the others.

We moved away from British Gas years ago as they were very expensive, but that will almost certainly have changed. we were with nPower for a couple of years, but their customer service was very bad (they ignored information you gave them over the phone and by email and took over a year to get the details right when we moved elsewhere). We are currently using a company called OVO energy and have been very pleased with them, the customer service is excellent and the prices were good at the time but sadly they are looking pretty uncompetitive now :(
Steve

Post by Steve »

FWIW BG comes up as the best deal when I use the price comparison sites (I know, surprising, huh?)
Mel

Post by Mel »

I got a quote from Ovo as someone else reocmmended them and it was roughly the same as the new quote from Scottish Power for a new fixed price contract up until 2018. I do find it confusing though.