"Hertford & Ware" Mercury

Clubs and societies, neighbourhood and social issues
Steve

"Hertford & Ware" Mercury

Post by Steve »

I think there must have been a mixup at the print works this week. The first mention of either Hertford or Ware doesn't appear until page 11 (unless you count Haileybury). Most of the coverage is for Cheshunt. I'm amazed anyone bothers with the "local" paper any more.
FLIPPER

Re: "Hertford & Ware" Mercury

Post by FLIPPER »

You beat me to it Steve. This was not the Hertford Mercury it was all about Cheshunt, with just a few snippets about Hertford & Ware.
Mel

Post by Mel »

I said exactly the same to my husband. I think now we're going to stop buying it.
kevin phillips bong

Post by kevin phillips bong »

The hertfordshire Mercury covering Ware n hertford plus villages has always and is hertford biased - fair enough, as for some unknown reason we have to suffer it as the county town (Albanshire would and should have been infinitely better), their coverage of Ware has always been awful and like I've said a million times b4 do they actually allow anyone from Ware to be employed?
Ware beat Chesnut today 4-1 in a very crucial game - was anyone from The Mercury there/will it make headline on Friday's back page. (Ally Gold was a superb reporter much in the mold of the much loved Lew Gladich but who does it now?)
In 20 years of the Ware Real Ale Festival, I don't think they've ever done a proper report?
I could go on and on and on and on but its getting late.
Mel

Post by Mel »

I emailed the Mercury and this is the reply I got:

'Many thanks for your email about the latest edition of the Mercury.

We have always covered the areas surrounding Hertford, as far south as Cheshunt but having gone back through the paper last week, I appreciate that there was a heavier weighting towards stories from this area.

I appreciate your feedback, however, and will take this on board for future editions of the paper.'
kevin phillips bong

Post by kevin phillips bong »

Pathetic response. Chesnut has its own mercury, as does Hoddesdon, Hertfordshire covers hertford n Ware.
As I thought last weeks truly brilliant performance by Ware FC doesn't make the back page; Rye House speedway does. Nothing against speedway whatsoever but in Ware/hertford's paper it should have led with Ware FC and the Hoddesdon edition with Rye House. Shame really cause the coverage they gave Ware inside was very good, but like I say its not in their dna to show Ware in a positive light.
Andrew

Post by Andrew »

I wonder if Ware being relegated makes the front page!
FLIPPER

Post by FLIPPER »

The Mercury's front page today have got it wrong again. 106-110 Ware Rd is on the corner of Beechwood which are all houses. I think they mean 306-310 which would be the vacant plot further up the road. So even when they do get round to mentioning Ware and Hertford they can not get it right.
Steve

Post by Steve »

FLIPPER wrote:The Mercury's front page today have got it wrong again. 106-110 Ware Rd is on the corner of Beechwood which are all houses. I think they mean 306-310 which would be the vacant plot further up the road. So even when they do get round to mentioning Ware and Hertford they can not get it right.
The people of Cheshunt & Waltham cross must be delighted this is front page news in their edition of The Mercury. Ditto the people of Hoddesdon & Broxbourne.

Three identical "local" editions yet again, complete with multiple errors.
Mel

Post by Mel »

not bought it this week and I don't think we will again