General Election

Clubs and societies, neighbourhood and social issues
Andy B

General Election

Post by Andy B »

The people have voted and Hertford & Stortford have Mark Prisk as MP for another term with a 19000 majority that's 60% of the vote so quite convincing.
Mel

Re: General Election

Post by Mel »

Unfortunately! But there was an increase in the turnout from 57% at the last election to 75% (I think). Which is a big improvement.
Andy B

Post by Andy B »

Mel wrote:Unfortunately! But there was an increase in the turnout from 57% at the last election to 75% (I think). Which is a big improvement.
You say unfortunately Mel but democracy wins the day and and if you would have preferred a different result you are in the minority, I'm not having a dig at you its how the system works.
Pat-H

Post by Pat-H »

I was delighted at the overall result but it was a shame that our MP Mark Prisk, who wouldn't support the removal of the tampon tax, was retained. But here in Hertfordshire they could have stood the corpse of Maggie and still won...

It was a great result for the young who under Corbyn got engaged and made their voice heard. And based on the effect that caused there's a good chance they will have a louder voice in the future.
Alec

Post by Alec »

This time around did make me realise what a productive event the hustings was last time round - the first time I ever felt I had an understanding of what all the candidates (bar one) was standing for.

I found myself wishing we'd had the same again this time round, albeit aware that it's a load of hard work to organise.

Interesting results this time round, though..,
Andy B

Post by Andy B »

Here in NZ we go to the polls in September and strangely I'm here in NZ for UK election and in the UK for NZ election but unlike the Aussies its not illegal to not vote but I shall be and have already arranged to vote online.
I feel the UK election has not achieved much other than confusion but the one thing that I was sad to see was the misinformation on social media and I wonder how much this has affected not only the UK election but maybe the US election too. Is this the future? Is this how Ware will be represented in the future? If it is it'll be a sad day. :(
Pat-H

Post by Pat-H »

I think the good thing Andy is that the miss information and slagging off actually played into Corbyns hands.
He always said we wouldn't do that sort of politics and it was time for a change.
And he stuck to his work. He debated the topics and policies. He said what he felt about the opposing policies but he didn't sling mud, he didn't rise to the taunts. And the younger voters could see that and liked it.
Its now felt the right wing press and media hysteria over the possibility of a labour government may have done its usual job of persuading the older generations who still tend to believe what they reed in print. But not the younger generation.
Its easy to check and search online and discover the truth or not of an opposing claim. And when you do that a few times and find what you are being told isn't true and is just avoiding the topic at hand its much easier to know whos honest.

The really interesting exercise will be next election. Will the Tories still resort to mud slinging or will they follow suit and actual treat the electorate as adults, answer the questions and debate in a civilized manner. And how will their right wing press cope?

I do hope the regulators get across the new mediums like facebook and hold parties to account. The edited video of Corbyn with his words cut to mean something different was inexcusable. Basically a lie that they were happy to admit to because nobody could hold them to account.
Andy B

Post by Andy B »

Most of the social media mud slinging Pat was aimed at the Tories so maybe it was the young voters that Labour stirred used the only forum they seem to know to build the misinformation.
Is this the new way politics are going to go and its now the US and UK who have had this form of information where the good gets lost in the bad and with the NZ election coming I hope its not the same here.
Martin

Post by Martin »

I think that it has also highlighted how easy it is to promise all sorts of "goodies" to the electorate to tempt them away from the status quo, knowing full well that you will never be able to deliver, as you won't actually be able to afford to.................the grass is always greener........
Mel

Post by Mel »

No offence Andy - the system is broken really. I didn't know who to vote for to be honest, I just wanted rid of the present incumbents but we may still yet achieve that. And then what will happen.... :o