Flight path

For comments about airport expansion, aircraft movements and noise.
Matt40

Flight path

Post by Matt40 »

Hi,

I'm assuming that planes come under traffic! I see we under the flight path today. I'm thinking that it seems to be less these days compared to a few years back. Would I be correct? It always seems to be on summer sunny days but I presume that's because they are louder and more noticeable.

Matt
Last edited by Steve on Sun 23 Jul 2017 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Moved from "Traffic" to "Aviation"
Steve

Re: Flight path

Post by Steve »

Matt40 wrote:Hi,

I'm assuming that planes come under traffic! I see we under the flight path today. I'm thinking that it seems to be less these days compared to a few years back. Would I be correct? It always seems to be on summer sunny days but I presume that's because they are louder and more noticeable.

Matt
It's dependent on wind direction. Generally If the wind is from the north or east then aircraft will land on Runway 04, which means they fly over Ware at around 3000ft.
Matt40

Post by Matt40 »

3000ft doesn't seem so high when they come over my house! I'd say they were nearer 1000ft some of the heavier planes? I presume there are more northerly/easterly winds then in summer or is it just a clear sky syndrome?
Andy B

Post by Andy B »

Matt40 wrote:3000ft doesn't seem so high when they come over my house! I'd say they were nearer 1000ft some of the heavier planes? I presume there are more northerly/easterly winds then in summer or is it just a clear sky syndrome?
The bigger they are the lower they seem the minimum height rule is monitored so 99.9% will be above 3000ft but you can check this yourself just download any of the apps like "Flightradar24" even to your smartphone and by clicking onto the aircraft it'll tell you height, speed, aircraft type, whose it is, flight number, destination and departure.
Ian

Post by Ian »

Andy B wrote:
Matt40 wrote:3000ft doesn't seem so high when they come over my house! I'd say they were nearer 1000ft some of the heavier planes? I presume there are more northerly/easterly winds then in summer or is it just a clear sky syndrome?
The bigger they are the lower they seem the minimum height rule is monitored so 99.9% will be above 3000ft but you can check this yourself just download any of the apps like "Flightradar24" even to your smartphone and by clicking onto the aircraft it'll tell you height, speed, aircraft type, whose it is, flight number, destination and departure.
Not so Andy, the *maximum* they can fly over Ware is 3,000 feet, the minimum is about 1,500 as below that private small flights fly over such as helicopters, light aircraft and microlights. Above 3,000 feet they start affecting other flight paths by getting too close. The problem is that this bit of airspace is very crowded. The majority of flights are passing over Ware at 2,600 feet above ground level on their landing approach and I *think* now they use continuous descent which is much quieter and fuel efficient. We don't get any planes at all passing over us on take off so that's lucky as it's a lot noisier.

You can verify this using the webtrak application at http://webtrak5.bksv.com/stn.
Andy B

Post by Andy B »

When living in Ware Ian the aircraft never used to bother me and I appreciated most of them with special thanks to the friend/relative who's friend/family flew Typhoon's and buzzed Ware with a roll and flick of re-heat as he was leaving, spectacular aircraft.
I am fully aware that some find them disturbing but there is very little to be done about it and as someone who is taking 16 international flights this year I cannot complain about any of them anywhere.
Andy B

Post by Andy B »

Flightradar24 have just renewed their app even on the free version so it will tell you if an aircraft over Ware is under the minimum height it'll also tell you the airline, flight number, aircraft type and registration number along with its departure point and destination.
What more could you want and if you find one under height a screen shot of your phone or tablet will give you evidence.
Steve

Post by Steve »

Matt40 wrote:Hi,

I'm assuming that planes come under traffic!
No, they come under Aviation :)
Andy B

Post by Andy B »

Did anyone get the Flightradar24 and been monitoring the height of aircraft over Ware?
I'm interested to know if you assumptions are true or false?
Steve

Post by Steve »

Andy B wrote:Did anyone get the Flightradar24 and been monitoring the height of aircraft over Ware?
I'm interested to know if you assumptions are true or false?
I've been using Flightradar24 for a couple of years and I don't think I've ever seen one below 2700ft