spoof emails with invoices

Contributions, adding your business or organisation to Ware Online, suggestions and general feedback about Ware Online.
Mel

spoof emails with invoices

Post by Mel »

Has anyone else on here received invoices from strange companies with invoices attached? Thanks. They are immediately classed as spam but it's a bit worrying especially as we have some work being done at the moment.
RichardH

Re: spoof emails with invoices

Post by RichardH »

Yes, they seem to be quite common at the moment.
Mel

Post by Mel »

Can you report them to anyone? Thanks
RichardH

Post by RichardH »

I guess you could report them to Action Fraud - at the very least, there is good advice there on what to do with emails such as this when they arrive.
Mel

Post by Mel »

You are having a laugh! :D I've tried to report things to them in the past and given up in .... well I'll leave that to your imagination :D I will have another look though
Steve

Post by Steve »

Mel wrote:You are having a laugh! :D I've tried to report things to them in the past and given up in .... well I'll leave that to your imagination :D I will have another look though
Agreed. The Action Fraud website is hopeless. I doubt they actually tested it on ordinary people. I gave up reporting scams and attempted fraud because the reporting system is so unfriendly.
Mel

Post by Mel »

Almost as bad as trying to ring the police on their non emergency number
RichardH

Post by RichardH »

To be honest I don't think there is really anyone you can report this sort of thing to that can do anything - after all, the internet doesn't have a police force. The best thing to do is try and make others - family members etc - aware of these things and to be on the lookout.

We get quite good emails from the local neighbourhood watch scheme (via http://owl.co.uk/) that raises awareness of the current "popular" scams - both online and IRL.
Steve

Post by Steve »

RichardH wrote:... after all, the internet doesn't have a police force.
Fraud is a crime wherever it takes place, including the internet.
RichardH wrote:We get quite good emails from the local neighbourhood watch scheme (via http://owl.co.uk/) that raises awareness of the current "popular" scams - both online and IRL.
The OWL emails raising awareness wouldn't happen if it wasn't for people reporting the scams and frauds to Action Fraud in the first place. I suspect online crime is much higher than the authorities realise because reporting is so hard. On the other hand, reporting telephone scams to TPS registered numbers is much easier. I think the police have a lot of catching up to do when it comes to online crime, both in terms of resources and the ease of reporting. I accept that in some cases it may be hard to pursue - ie when the perpetractors are overseas.
Mel

Post by Mel »

Now I didn't know you could report telephone scams to the TPS. I thought it was just the sales calls etc. Wish I'd known that last year. My husband had a call from someone claiming he had damaged this guys car in the Feathers car park the night before with 'our van'. My husband was convinced it was genuine even if it was a mistake, caller even rang back the next day. The caller said he was going to report it to the police so the reply was go ahead. I don't drive, I don't own a van, it wasn't me. I'll be happy to give a statement. He had my husbands name, given to him by someone in the pub said he'd found his details on Google.

That's when we tried to contact the police/Action Fraud. Couldn't get through on the phone so I reported it online. Did get a reply to that and was told to report it to Action Fraud but never got through.

I shall have a look at that website though.